Will the Space Shuttle Discovery launch this weekend for a 'pedestrian mission'?

• Thread starter Rach3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
I would go in a millisecond... i am a flight fanatics... (if i had the cash)In summary, the space shuttle Discovery successfully launched into orbit on Saturday afternoon, following a preflight review with some disagreement among engineers. The launch was originally scheduled for 3:49 PM EST but was rescheduled for Sunday due to weather conditions. However, it was ultimately launched on Tuesday at 2:38 PM EST, with a successful lift-off and ET separation. The crew is expected to have a safe and successful mission. Many people, including a crew member's parents and a flight fanatic, would still be willing to go on a space mission despite the high risks involved.
Sept. 9, 9:10 a.m. EDT
The hatch into Atlantis' crew cabin has been sealed for flight following the strapping in of all six STS-115 astronauts inside the ship. Commander Brent Jett and his crew are now setting switches and bringing the orbiter's systems online as the countdown to an 11:15 a.m. launch ticks on.

Today's weather around Kennedy Space Center is nicely suited for a space shuttle launch. The current temperature is approaching 80 degrees, with light winds and only a few scattered clouds dotting the sky.

Launch in about 30 minutes!

Physics news on Phys.org
A minute to go!

IT's up...

Looking great on 3 engines to orbit. :cool: :tongue2:

MCO confirmed.

Another lauch (STS-116) coming up in about 4 and 1/2 hrs - conditions permitting.

This will be a night launch, at about 8:57 pm EST.

Launch can be viewed live in various on-line video media.
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

Beautiful!

First Swede in space!

Last edited: