Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Meteorite crash in Russia

1. Feb 15, 2013 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2013 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Looks like it blew up right before hitting the ground, might be a lot of small pieces.

4. Feb 15, 2013 #3

Borek

I have seen at least two videos with a loud shock wave - and it is apparent people were shooting the video for many seconds before the bang. It exploded high above the ground, probably over 10 km.

5. Feb 15, 2013 #4
    Its obviously a secret military experiment ;) Or aliens! Definately aliens!!

6. Feb 15, 2013 #5

russ_watters

Wow, unreal. It isn't clear to me from what I've read/seen so far if it was a sonic boom or explosion that caused all of the damage.

[edit] Reading the wiki on the Tunguska event, it says that "Fat Man" nuclear bomb sized explosions (10-20 KT) happen in the upper atmosphere about once a year (!). Tunguska-sized events (10-20MT) perhaps once every 300 years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  7. Feb 15, 2013 #6
    Meteorite explosion over Russia: Chelyabinsk Meteor shower

Meteorite explosion over Russia: Chelyabinsk Meteor shower

http://file25.content-video.ru/Out/WebM/20130215/2013_02_15_RIAMETEORNAREZKAmix_x4pl0pgu.4r5.webm

As you probably are aware, today, should pass near Earth an asteroid, 2012 DA14, at a very close range, nearly 25-27 thousand km above Earth. This morning in Chelyabinsk (Russia) was registered a meteor shower, as a result 500 people were injured and thousands of buildings got windows broken.

Is it an interesting coincidence or it's the shower before the storm.. ?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  8. Feb 15, 2013 #7

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't watch the video from work but, I'm looking forward to it later today. From what I've read, a lot of people were injured by flying glass. Note to self: Stay away from the windows if you see a really bright meteor.

9. Feb 15, 2013 #8

Borek

"Experts say the explosion took place 5 km above the ground" - judging from the videos I have a feeling time to reach the surface was much longer than 15 seconds (plus people had to get the cameras and switch them on, which adds at least 10 seconds more). But then I have not tried to measure it.

10. Feb 15, 2013 #9

jedishrfu

Re: Meteorite explosion over Russia: Chelyabinsk Meteor shower

I don't think its coincidence, suppose the asteroid was at one time a larger mass and collided with another asteroid causing many smaller fragments to travel along the same trajectory. I'd expect more meteors during and after the event too.

11. Feb 15, 2013 #10
    Re: Meteorite explosion over Russia: Chelyabinsk Meteor shower

I believe we'll get more info from NASA reports in a few days, as I am sure there were other "pieces" fallen in the oceans.

12. Feb 15, 2013 #11

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow. 5 km is well within a jetliner's cruising altitude. I wonder if any were in the area? I'm guessing there weren't since there haven't been any reports of crashes or decompressions from broken windows.

13. Feb 15, 2013 #12

jedishrfu

Yeah, I didn't think of that. It may well be a hoax via viral videos could be like the Toyota commercial of a truck survivng a meteor strike.

EDIT: Looking at the videos, it seems authentic although I noticed each video show it streaking from left to right meaning all the camera people were on one side of the meteor track.

14. Feb 15, 2013 #13
  15. Feb 15, 2013 #14

nsaspook

Science Advisor

More damage reports: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...xploded-doctors-treat-500-people-injured.html

16. Feb 15, 2013 #15

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

NASA is stating that the tracks are completely different.

17. Feb 15, 2013 #16

jedishrfu

On a related note, a colleague here noticed that the video times are different. Some I'm wondering if some old videos have also been mixed in with the latest actual video.

18. Feb 15, 2013 #17

nsaspook

Science Advisor

That actually makes them more likely to be authentic. :smile:

19. Feb 15, 2013 #18
    The cameras in the cars are on by default, no need to switch them on. (its related to car insurance that they carry always cameras)

We´ll have to wait for more detailed reports, but i´ve seen images of a building that recieved hits (a factory).
    Actually more than 1 thousand reported injuries

20. Feb 15, 2013 #19
    Has anyone heard from Evo yet?

21. Feb 15, 2013 #20

jedishrfu

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook