Metric variation of the covariant derivative

In summary, the author is trying to find an equation for variations in the covariant derivative, and is having trouble with Christoffel symbols. He finds terms that are derivatives of δgμν, but is missing extra terms.
Theo1808

Homework Statement

Hi all, I currently have a modified Einstein-Hilbert action, with extra terms coming from some vector field [itex]A_\mu = (A_0(t),0,0,0)[/itex], given by

[itex]\mathcal{L}_A = -\frac{1}{2} \nabla _\mu A_\nu \nabla ^\mu A ^\nu +\frac{1}{2} R_{\mu \nu} A^\mu A^\nu [/itex].

The resulting field equation has been given as [itex] R_{\mu \nu} - \frac{1}{2} R g_{\mu \nu} = 8 \pi G (T_{\mu \nu} + T^A _{\mu \nu}) [/itex] i.e. the same as Einstein's equation but with an extra energy-momentum term coming from [itex]A_\mu[/itex]. I'm trying to find the form of [itex]T^A _{\mu \nu}[/itex] and I only know that the density associated with it (I assume [itex]T^A _{00}[/itex]) is [itex]\rho_A = \frac{3}{2}H^2A_0^2+3HA_0 \dot{A}_0 - \frac{1}{2} \dot{A}^2 _0[/itex]. (The metric used is FRW [itex]ds^2 = dt^2 - a^2(t) \delta_{ij}dx^idx^j[/itex]).

Homework Equations

Searching around has found these (I think) useful relations: [itex]\frac{\delta g_{\mu \nu}}{\delta g^{\rho \sigma}} = -g_{\mu \rho}g_{\nu \sigma}[/itex], [itex]\frac{A^\mu}{\delta g^{\rho \sigma}} = 0[/itex] and [itex]\frac{A_\mu}{\delta g^{\rho \sigma}} = -g_{\mu \rho}A_\sigma[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So my problem is getting a analytical equation for variations in the covariant derivative. I can rewrite [itex]R_{\mu \nu} A^\mu A^\nu [/itex] as [itex]\nabla _\mu A^\mu \nabla _\nu A^\nu - \nabla _\mu A^\nu \nabla _\nu A^\mu [/itex], so everything is in terms of covariant derivatives. The problem arises with variations in the Christoffel symbols. This gives me terms that are derivatives of [itex]\delta g_{\mu \nu}[/itex], which I'm not sure how to deal with (ultimately I'd want some expression all multiplied by [itex]\delta g^{\rho \sigma}[/itex]. In the original EH action for example the variations in the connections are in a total derivative so they aren't needed to be evaluated. I tried to see what would happen if I ignored variations in the connection and with [itex]T^A _{\mu \nu} = - 2 \frac{\delta \mathcal{L}}{\delta g^{\rho \sigma}} + g_{\rho \sigma}\mathcal{L} [/itex], which gave me some of the terms in the density, but ultimately I believe I'm missing extra terms. Ignoring the variations in the connection, I get

[itex]T^A _{\rho \sigma} = \nabla_\rho A_\nu \nabla_\sigma A^\nu - g^{\mu \beta}\nabla_\mu A_\rho \nabla_\beta A_\sigma -\frac{1}{2} g_{\rho \sigma} g^{\alpha \mu} \nabla _\mu A_\nu \nabla _\alpha A ^\nu +\frac{1}{2} g_{\rho \sigma} R_{\mu \nu} A^\mu A^\nu [/itex].

The [itex]R_{\mu \nu} A^\mu A^\nu [/itex] term gives me (finding the (00) term in T) a [itex]-\frac{3}{2}(\dot{H} + H^2)A_0^2[/itex] term. I also get that the first 2 terms in [itex]T_{00}[/itex], after using the substitution of connections in FRW, all cancel out or go to zero. While the third term gives me the [itex]-\frac{1}{2} \dot{A}^2 _0[/itex] and [itex]+\frac{3}{2}H^2A_0^2[/itex]. The problem is then I'm missing a few terms which I think come from me ignoring variations in the connection.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give me.

Likes demon
If I am understanding you, you arrive at terms like ∂(δgμν) and you don't know how to factor it in terms of δgμν, is that right?

If so, I recently arrived to the same problem through a different action. Sadly I haven't found an answer yet, so I'll be watching this space... Also, if I find an answer I'll post it here.

By the way, would you mind letting me know where you found the relation
δgμν/δgρσ=−gμρgνσ

Thanks in advance

demon said:
By the way, would you mind letting me know where you found the relation
δgμν/δgρσ=−gμρgνσ

Please forget this last point, I got confused with δ and ∂ again...

1. What is the metric variation of the covariant derivative?

The metric variation of the covariant derivative is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry and general relativity. It describes how the covariant derivative of a tensor field changes when the metric tensor is varied.

2. How is the metric variation of the covariant derivative calculated?

The metric variation of the covariant derivative is calculated using the formula δ(∇aXb) = ∇aδXb - δ(Γbac)Xc, where δ represents the variation and Γbac is the Christoffel symbol.

3. What is the significance of the metric variation of the covariant derivative?

The metric variation of the covariant derivative is important in understanding the behavior of tensor fields under changes in the metric tensor. It is also essential in the study of geodesics and the curvature of space-time in general relativity.

4. Can the metric variation of the covariant derivative be extended to non-Riemannian manifolds?

Yes, the metric variation of the covariant derivative can be extended to non-Riemannian manifolds using the concept of affine connections. In this case, the Christoffel symbol is replaced by the non-metricity tensor.

5. How is the metric variation of the covariant derivative used in physics?

The metric variation of the covariant derivative is used in various areas of theoretical physics, including general relativity, where it plays a crucial role in understanding the curvature of space-time and the behavior of matter and energy. It is also used in other fields such as quantum field theory, where it helps to describe the dynamics of particles on curved spacetime.