Milky way arms and the position of the Earth

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
nmsurobert
Messages
288
Reaction score
36
I've been trying to understand why we see different milky way arms depending on where we are on Earth and what time of year it is. I've been googling and I can't find an answer. Can anyone explain this to me? If you have a picture handy that would really help.

Thanks.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I just answered my own question. I've been trying to relate it to the Earth's tilt but it has to do with our position around the sun. duh.
 
nmsurobert said:
I just answered my own question. I've been trying to relate it to the Earth's tilt but it has to do with our position around the sun. duh.
In other words, the same reason we see different stars at night depending on the time of year.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: nmsurobert