Mini road trip: fall festival fun

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
jtbell
Mentor
On Saturday, I took advantage of a crisp sunny day to visit two festivals in small towns a couple of hours' drive from home.

Stop 1

My first stop was at the Central Railroad Festival in the town of Central, which is nowhere near the center of South Carolina. It's way up in the northwest corner of the state, not far from Clemson and its university. The name comes from its location midway between Atlanta and Charlotte, on the railroad which was completed between those cities in 1873. In fact, the town was founded by the railroad company.

central.jpg

Here I learned that goat milk soap is a thing.

goatmilksoap.jpg

In keeping with the festival theme, the Norfolk Southern Railway, which now owns the railroad, sent a couple of trains through while I was there.

train.jpg

Central is home to a railroad club which operates a museum a block off Main Street. They have a large model railroad that winds through several rooms, on two levels.

layout1.jpg

layout2.jpg

• Love
Likes Fervent Freyja, Hamiltonian, rsk and 4 others

Answers and Replies

mcastillo356
Gold Member
So nice. Beautiful. Thanks

jtbell
Mentor
Stop 2

About a 45 minute drive from Central via Clemson is Walhalla. It was settled by immigrants who fled Germany after the failed revolutions of 1848-49. Therefore its annual fall festival is an Oktoberfest.

oktoberfest.jpg

Most of the food and activities were similar to other festivals in the area.

midway.jpg

funhouse.jpg

One food truck specialized in German food.

heidelberg.jpg

And there was a large tent where visitors could buy large mugs of beer and listen to a German-style band, which was taking a break when I took this picture.

tent.jpg

I suspect the festival was more crowded in the evening, but I wanted to finish my two-hour drive home before dark.

Likes Fervent Freyja, collinsmark, berkeman and 1 other person
jtbell
Mentor
Stop 3 (a week later)

A week after this day trip, my town (Clinton SC) had its own festival. This time I could simply walk downtown, about a mile, instead of driving.

panorama.jpg

There were a couple of carnival rides for the kids.

jitterbug.jpg

And a "Paul Bunyan Lumberjack Show".

paulbunyan.jpg

And the usual festival food. Here I got some chili cheese fries.

fastfood.jpg

chilicheese.jpg

The main theme here was a barbecue contest, with about 6 or 7 booths and food trucks. I decided to go with this one, and get some pulled pork.

rubbingbutts.jpg

pulledpork.jpg

After I got home, I didn't need any dinner. Nevertheless, I wasn't completely done with the festival, because around 9:30 there was a fireworks show. We couldn't see it from our house, but we could definitely hear it!

Likes collinsmark, mcastillo356 and jedishrfu
berkeman
Mentor
And a "Paul Bunyan Lumberjack Show".
What does the Lumberjack do when he jumps into that Octagon Pit? Does he 'wrassel' something short?

jtbell
Mentor
Does he 'wrassel' something short?
They should at least have some beavers in there. :cool:

Suggested for: Mini road trip: fall festival fun

• Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies