Minimal coupling of a Field with electromagnetism

In summary, the speaker has doubts about the minimal coupling of a spin 2 field with electromagnetism and is seeking clarification on whether the field needs to be complexified in the Lagrangian to maintain the same degrees of freedom. They have seen this approach in the literature but are unsure of the reason for complexifying the field. They also have questions about the interaction Lagrangian and the existence of J^{\mu} if the matter field is real.
Jesus
I have some doubts about minimal coupling of a field of spin 2 for example, with the electromagnetism and I hope someone can help me to clarify them.

According to Pauli and Fierz one couples the field with electromagnetism introducing the covariant derivative at the level of the Lagrangian, but, does the field need to be complexified in the lagrangian in order to maintain the same degrees of freedom than before we turn on the electromagnetic interaction?

At least that is what I have seen in the literature but I don't have clear why complexify the field.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you have two different problems: 1. Coupling of gravity with electromagnetism in the absence of (presumably electrically charged) matter. 2. Coupling of electromagnetism to electrically charged matter in the presence of gravity.

2. Electromagnetism is a linear U(1) gauge theory. It's necessary for the matter field to be either complex-valued (thus at least 2 types of fields) or more generally with values in a Z2-graded algebra (= involuted algebra), else the coupling will not occur. So indeed there are particular requirements on the matter fields before trying to see how they couple to an e-m field. Gravity couples to both the e-m field and to matter. There's no requirement on the matter field coming from the gravity sector.
1. Electromagnetism couples to gravity automatically if you write down the former's Lagrangian action in a curved space-time. The metric enters in a nice way (through F2) and in a pesky way through √-g. For details, see the wonderful <80 p. brochure on General Relativity by Dirac.

Likes Jesus
Jesus said:
I have some doubts about minimal coupling of a field of spin 2 for example, with the electromagnetism and I hope someone can help me to clarify them.

According to Pauli and Fierz one couples the field with electromagnetism introducing the covariant derivative at the level of the Lagrangian, but, does the field need to be complexified in the lagrangian in order to maintain the same degrees of freedom than before we turn on the electromagnetic interaction?

At least that is what I have seen in the literature but I don't have clear why complexify the field.

Thank you.

Recall the interaction Lagrangian [itex]\mathcal{L} = A_{\mu} J^{\mu}[/itex].
1) What is [itex]J^{\mu}[/itex]?
2) If the matter field (of any spin) is real, does [itex]J^{\mu}[/itex] exist?

1. What is minimal coupling in the context of electromagnetism?

Minimal coupling is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism that describes the interaction between a charged particle and an electromagnetic field. It states that the electromagnetic field can affect the motion of the charged particle and vice versa.

2. How does minimal coupling differ from other types of coupling in electromagnetism?

Minimal coupling is a special type of coupling that assumes a minimal interaction between the electromagnetic field and the charged particle. This means that the field does not significantly affect the particle's motion, and the particle's motion does not significantly affect the field.

3. What equations are used to describe minimal coupling of a field with electromagnetism?

The equations used to describe minimal coupling are Maxwell's equations, which govern the behavior of electromagnetic fields, and the Lorentz force law, which describes the force exerted on a charged particle by an electromagnetic field.

4. What are some practical applications of minimal coupling in electromagnetism?

Minimal coupling has many practical applications in various fields such as optics, electronics, and particle physics. For example, it is used in the design of optical devices like lenses, in the study of electromagnetic waves in electronic circuits, and in the analysis of particle interactions in high-energy physics experiments.

5. Can minimal coupling be extended to other types of fields besides electromagnetism?

Yes, minimal coupling can be extended to other types of fields, such as the gravitational field. In this case, the gravitational field would interact with the charged particle in a similar way to the electromagnetic field. However, the equations and concepts may differ from those used in electromagnetism.