Minimize fuel cost for a 400-mile trip with consumption G(x)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
ziddy83
Messages
87
Reaction score
0
I was wondering if anyone can help me on this problem...

A truck burns fuel at the rate of G(x) gallons per mile. Where

[tex]G(x) = \frac {1} {32} \left(\frac {64}{x} + \frac {x}{50} \right)[/tex]

a. Find the cost function C(x) if the truck takes a 400 mile trip. Assume that the cost of fuel is $1.60 per gallon.

b. What is the speed that will produce minimum cost on this trip?

So...if anyone can help me with this...Please..please do so, I would be very very appreciative. Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What does x represent?


At first I thought it was the distance which makes (a) easy but then (b) makes no sense. Is x the speed? No, that way (a) makes no sense!