Minimum Sum of Non-Negative Integers with Given Equation - POTW #504

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter anemone
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 2K views
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Messages
3,851
Reaction score
115
Here is this week's POTW:

-----

Let ##a,\,b,\,c## and ##d## be non-negative integers.

If ##a^2+b^2-cd^2=2022##, find the minimum of ##a+b+c+d##.

-----
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the interesting problem. I have not found the answer but I would like to guess it.
[tex]s:=a+b+c+d=a+b+d+\frac{a^2+b^2-2022}{d^2}[/tex]
Guessing for minimum s that a=b and ##2a^2-2022## is least with an integer c
[tex]a=b=32, d=1, c=26[/tex]
[tex]s=91[/tex]
A nearby case is
[tex]a=33,b=31,d=1,c=28;\ s=93>91[/tex]
However, for a>>b case
[tex]a=45,b=1,d=2,c=1;\ s=49[/tex]
My guess failed. I will be glad to know the right answer.
 
Last edited: