Minnesota or Carnegie Mellon for particle cosmology

In summary, the professors listed as reasons to attend either school are the same, but the poll was posted with the expectation that I would get in off the waitlist at CMU. However, a shortlist after a first review of the waitlistees is not looking so good, so I decided to attend Minnesota.

Which school would best suit my particle cosmology needs?

• Minnesota

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carnegie Mellon

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Catria
Now that I have pretty much given up on Columbia, but still will have somewhere to go, I will try to make the best of what I have. Since Carnegie Mellon actually earmarks spots for waitlistees, rather than using it to fill up the class when too many No's have been recorded (like WUSTL, which I would most likely decline if admitted off the waitlist) I feel like pursuing that waitlist is worth it.

In terms of reputations within particle cosmology, Minnesota is better on the particle side, CMU on the cosmology side, but this is not a difference-maker when both sides are put together, and theory on both sides of particle cosmology is equally risky as far as career prospects are concerned. Both seem to care about students' well-being.

Here is a rundown of the data relevant for each school:

Minnesota:

Professors of interest: Olive, Peloso (originally interested in Vainshtein also but realized that he was close to retiring)
Stipend: $24,440/year (Minneapolis)
Greater ability for advanced standing (no need for placement test)
Farther from home
Large department
Cold weather

Carnegie Mellon:

Professors of interest: Holman, Flauger
Stipend: $28,500/year ($2,375/month; Pittsburgh)
More limited ability for advanced standing
Closer to home
Smaller department
Somewhat warmer (but still with all four seasons nonetheless)

Perhaps I was wrong to pursue the waitlist at CMU (I really hope the waitlistees will get their decisions within 2 weeks from now)...

In the interim, I committed to Minnesota so that I would have for sure somewhere to go to. (Should I feel like CMU really was the right choice, I could ask for a written release from Minnesota)

Physics news on Phys.org
While I learned quite a bit about both schools during visits, there is still one outstanding question, and a major one at that: which set of potential advisors is the "better" one? Also, what criteria should I use to assess the merits of potential advisors, given their research interests?

Olive, Ghergetta, Peloso

vs.

Holman, Flauger, Rothstein

Well you consider your research interests, their advising philosophy (do they want to see you frequently and know what you are doing or are they more hands off?), their academic reputation, and the accomplishments of their students.

I still didn't get out of the waitlist at CMU even as others got decisions off it, acceptance or rejection, hence losing confidence in Carnegie Mellon. So I will most definitely attend Minnesota at this point.

My professors claimed that the whole purpose of advanced standing and course waivers is to speed up students' transition into research...

Did I read on a previous thread of yours that you are interested in working on inflation? Minnesota seems a great fit for that.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
cristo said:
Did I read on a previous thread of yours that you are interested in working on inflation? Minnesota seems a great fit for that.

Hence the professors listed being the reasons why I would attend either school... but this poll was posted with the expectation that I would get in off the waitlist at CMU. A shortlist after a first review of the waitlistees is not looking so good at that point, so I decided to attend Minnesota.

Last edited:
Catria said:
Hence the professors listed being the reasons why I would attend either school... but this poll was posted with the expectation that I would get in off the waitlist at CMU. A shortlist after a first review of the waitlistees is not looking so good at that point, so I decided to attend Minnesota.

Right, I'm saying I would sway towards Minnesota if you're interested in inflation, anyway.

Now CMU rejected me off the waitlist so I will go to Minnesota...

1. Which university has a stronger reputation in the field of particle cosmology?

Both Minnesota and Carnegie Mellon have strong reputations in the field of particle cosmology. However, Carnegie Mellon has a slightly higher ranking in this specific field according to various university rankings.

2. What research opportunities are available for particle cosmology at Minnesota and Carnegie Mellon?

Both universities offer research opportunities in particle cosmology, with a diverse range of projects and collaborations available at both institutions. Some notable areas of research at Minnesota include studies of dark matter and dark energy, while Carnegie Mellon's focus includes cosmic ray physics and particle astrophysics.

3. How do the faculty and resources at Minnesota and Carnegie Mellon compare for particle cosmology?

Both universities have highly qualified faculty and resources for particle cosmology. At Minnesota, the School of Physics and Astronomy has a dedicated particle astrophysics group, while Carnegie Mellon's Department of Physics has a strong focus on cosmology and astrophysics.

4. What unique opportunities does Minnesota offer for studying particle cosmology?

One unique opportunity at Minnesota is the Itasca Cosmic Ray Observatory, which is located in northern Minnesota and provides a remote location for studying cosmic rays. Additionally, the university has strong collaborations with several other institutions, providing students with opportunities for interdisciplinary research.

5. What can I expect in terms of career prospects after studying particle cosmology at Minnesota or Carnegie Mellon?

Both universities have strong reputations and connections within the scientific community, providing graduates with excellent prospects for careers in particle cosmology. Graduates from Minnesota and Carnegie Mellon have gone on to pursue careers in academia, research, and various industries.