Minor forum changes: What's new on PF Community?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Elementary Particles" The staff and I are continually working on creating a more solid, accessible, usable and friendly forum experience. There might be a few more changes in the mix, I'll update in here as the changes go through.I notice that some HW-questions get posted in the Tutorials category. I'm not sure if this has been a big problem. To alleviate this, it might be helpful if "Math & Science Tutorials" is renamed to "Math & Science Reading Room" or something.Not too many though. The mentors usually move them. But perhaps a parethical statement, e.g. (No HW Posts Please) or (Not for HW), would be
Minor "forum" changes

1. The Engineering forum in Homework Help has been renamed to "Engineering, Computer Science, and Technology".

2. The Brain Teasers forum is now a sub forum of general discussion

3. The Feedback Forum is now part of the PF Lounge

4. Consequently the PF Community category has been removed

The staff and I are continually working on creating a more solid, accessible, usable and friendly forum experience. There might be a few more changes in the mix, I'll update in here as the changes go through.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I notice that some HW-questions get posted in the Tutorials category. I'm not sure if this has been a big problem. To alleviate this, it might be helpful if "Math & Science Tutorials" is renamed to "Math & Science Reading Room" or something.

[opinion]
In my opinion, "Special & General Relativity" should go in the Physics category [as Quantum Physics is]. Historically, one might have associated "[outer] space" with relativistic physics. However, today we [should] realize that relativity is more about "Physics" than about "Astronomy and Cosmology". [Indeed, Quantum Physics isn't just about "Atoms and Elementary Particles".] In light of all the World Year of Physics efforts, isn't it time that Relativity be accepted as Physics that is becoming more a part of our everyday lives?
[/opinion]

Last edited:
robphy said:
I notice that some HW-questions get posted in the Tutorials category. I'm not sure if this has been a big problem. To alleviate this, it might be helpful if "Math & Science Tutorials" is renamed to "Math & Science Reading Room" or something.

I'll investigate this

[opinion]
In my opinion, "Special & General Relativity" should go in the Physics category [as Quantum Physics is]. Historically, one might have associated "[outer] space" with relativistic physics. However, today we [should] realize that relativity is more about "Physics" than about "Astronomy and Cosmology". [Indeed, Quantum Physics isn't just about "Atoms and Elementary Particles".] In light of all the World Year of Physics efforts, isn't it time that Relativity be accepted as Physics that is becoming more a part of our everyday lives?
[/opinion]

The staff is actually in talks about a possible physics/astronomy restructure.

Cool, I like it!

robphy said:
[opinion]
[/opinion]

Hear, Hear!

robphy said:
[opinion]
[/opinion]

Have you been peeking through the curtains to the mentor's forum? Those types of changes are currently under discussion.

Moonbear said:
Have you been peeking through the curtains to the mentor's forum? Those types of changes are currently under discussion.
Um... the wind blew the curtains open for a second.:tongue:

I actually brought up this point last month in the PF Review thread,
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=772851&postcount=4

Greg Bernhardt said:
1. The Engineering forum in Homework Help has been renamed to "Engineering, Computer Science, and Technology".
Uh oh. They're letting the riff-raff in...:tongue2:

robphy said:
Not too many though. The mentors usually move them. But perhaps a parethical statement, e.g. (No HW Posts Please) or (Not for HW), would be appropriate.

In the Tutorials Section - perhaps an Engineering Tutorial Section Could be included. I included a Strength of Materials Tutorial in "Math & Science Tutorials" because it did not seem appropriate in either of the physics sections.

robphy said:
[opinion]
[/opinion]

"Atoms, Molecules, & Solids " could be "Atomic, Molecular and Condensed Matter Physics"?
For reference - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condensed-Matter_Physics

"Nuclei & Particles" - "Sub-atomic physics"? But Nuclear and Particle Physics would seem OK.

Good reference on Physics and major areas - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physics

Perhaps "Special Relativity" goes under Physics and "General Relativity" stays under Astrophysics - Astronomy & Cosmology. I am thinking in terms of size.

Another change: The software and hardware forum in the general technology category have been combined into a new forum called "computers", it also contains a sub forum called "programming".

Greg Bernhardt said:
Another change: The software and hardware forum in the general technology category have been combined into a new forum called "computers", it also contains a sub forum called "programming".
Nice one! :smile: I always felt the category hardware was a misnomer.
As many here know, hardware covers a very broad category of items (across several engineering disciplines), yet the majority of posts on hardware were computer related. :uhh:

What are "minor forum changes"?

Minor forum changes refer to small modifications or updates made to an online forum platform. These changes can include things like layout adjustments, new features, bug fixes, or design updates. They are often made to improve the user experience or fix any issues that may have arisen.

How often are "minor forum changes" implemented?

The frequency of minor forum changes can vary depending on the platform and the needs of the forum. In general, they are made periodically and on an as-needed basis. Some forums may have a set schedule for updates, while others may make changes as they arise.

Who decides on "minor forum changes"?

The decision to implement minor forum changes is typically made by a team of developers, designers, and administrators. They may gather user feedback and data to determine which changes are necessary or beneficial for the forum.

Can users suggest "minor forum changes"?

Yes, many forums have a feature or section where users can suggest changes or improvements. These suggestions are often considered by the forum team and may be implemented if they align with the forum's goals and resources.

What should I do if I encounter issues after "minor forum changes" have been made?

If you experience any issues or bugs after minor forum changes have been implemented, it is best to report them to the forum team. They will work to address and fix any issues as quickly as possible. It is also a good idea to clear your browser's cache and cookies, as this can sometimes resolve issues with website updates.