Mirror and lens sign conventions for real and virtual images

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
DODGEVIPER13
Messages
668
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I am studying for my final and just want some clarification on mirror facts.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


Convex: focal length = negative and concave is opposite positive
Diverginging = - image dist converging just the opposite or positive
if an image is on the same side then the image distance is negative. If it is on the opposite side then positive
spherical has a negative focal length
if an image dist is neg then the image is virtual and upright
if image dist is pos then image is real and inverted
also magnification can tell me if the image is upright or inverted is it is pos then upright otherwise inverted. If magnification is positive the image distance is negative. I know ray diagrams help a lot but I need facts. Is there more that I am missing?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone tell me if I am on the right track
 
I'd be cautious about stating a spherical mirror has a negative focal length. Most of the mirrors used in school lab experiments are termed spherical mirrors, being pieces of a sphere. They can be silver coated on the "inside" or the "outside" to make concave or convex mirrors, and are cheaper to manufacture than a parabolic mirror.

I can see that you are thinking of a complete mirrored sphere, but "we" aren't necessarily thinking of a complete sphere when speaking of a spherical mirror.