Can a Mobile Phone Capture the Beauty of the Night Sky?

In summary, this person succeeded in taking some photos of stars with a mobile phone using manual settings. They are considering buying a telescope and mount suited for astrophotography.
DennisN
Gold Member
2023 Award
Behold my first photos of stars...:smile:

Thanks to PF members and PF threads, and reading about astrophotography, I succeeded the first time. This was just some tests I did with my mobile phone, LG G4, which has a pretty decent camera which can be used in manual mode, i.e. I can set the ISO, shutter speed, focus etc. manually (!). I also taped a anti-lightpollution filter in front of the camera.

All photos are taken with no zoom, focus to infinity, and with at least 5 seconds exposure.
Stacking software used: DeepSkyStacker
Detection software used (online): Astrometry.net (pretty nice!)
Additional software: Stellarium

To infinity and beyond
My first photo, with the mobile phone camera pointing straight up into the sky, not amazing, but there are at least some stars... 23 stacked images, 8 seconds exposure each, ISO 1000:
35859280432_0bb06e3257_c.jpg

Detections:
35859624152_e0d1542848_c.jpg

Stars with Big Dipper/Ursa major,
20 stacked photos, ISO 800:
35988746616_cbb5160b92_c.jpg

Stars with Cygnus and part of Milky Way (if I understood Stellarium correctly),
10 stacked images, ISO 200:
35896623861_14bfb9ed27_c.jpg

Detections:
35640976710_9b8e5032ea_c.jpg

Stellarium view:
35988743756_dd82e6e96b_c.jpg

Stars with Draco & Ursa Minor etc, 10 stacked images, ISO 800:
35896622201_d061b28178_c.jpg

Detections:
35859279542_4b43090a62_c.jpg

Last edited:
Likes Andy Resnick, OmCheeto, davenn and 1 other person
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Very nice for a mere cell phone camera!

Likes DennisN
DennisN said:
Behold my first photos of stars...:smile:

Thanks to PF members and PF threads, and reading about astrophotography, I succeeded the first time. This was just some tests I did with my mobile phone, LG G4, which has a pretty decent camera which can be used in manual mode, i.e. I can set the ISO, shutter speed, focus etc. manually (!). I also taped a anti-lightpollution filter in front of the camera.

outstanding ... WELL DONE :smile:

welcome to the astro-tog world
you are one of us now... there is no escaping :wink:

Can you set the aperture as well ? That would be good if it can be opened up for the most lightDave

Likes DennisN and Drakkith
davenn said:
outstanding ... WELL DONE :smile:
Thanks!
davenn said:
welcome to the astro-tog world
you are one of us now... there is no escaping :wink:
I already feel addicted :smile:. And I am also considering the Celestron NexStar 130SLT, which got good reviews here.
davenn said:
Can you set the aperture as well ? That would be good if it can be opened up for the most light
I had to check that up, and it seems the aperture is fixed at max f/1.8 (according to LG G4 Camera Full Manual Mode Guide).

I've tried the LG G4 camera in more normal situations too, and I am quite impressed by it. Also, it can shoot raw (DNG).
Item link, if someone is interested: Refurbished LG G4 ($105-140).
And two android camera applications which support manual mode: Open Camera (which I most often use) and Camera FV-5 Lite.

Likes davenn
DennisN said:
I already feel addicted :smile:. And I am also considering the Celestron NexStar 130SLT, which got good reviews here.

Before you buy, be sure about what the purpose of the scope and mount will be. Most telescopes and mounts are not suited to anything but the most basic of astrophotography, regardless of how well they perform for visual work. You don't need to spend a fortune to get decent quality gear suited to astrophotography, but you will almost certainly need to spend more than you would for a comparable visual-only scope/mount.

If you don't already have a telescope and just want to get into the hobby and get used to astronomy and using a telescope, then the 130SLT should work just fine. Just keep in mind that if you want to get into astrophotography you'll most likely end up pulling your hair out if you try to use that particular system. Still, everyone has to start somewhere, and I don't recommend shelling out several times the cost of that telescope for something more suited to astrophotography if you aren't at least a little experienced using a telescope, navigating the night sky, etc.

To satiate your desire for astrophotography in the meantime, you could get one of those little mounts for your phone that holds it up to the eyepiece. Something like this. Though it's quite a bit more expensive than I thought it would be... o_O

Likes davenn and DennisN
Thanks for the advice, @Drakkith, I appreciate it!

We have very clear skies at the moment, and I will try to boldly go where I have not gone before. I will try to take a night sky panorama with the mobile phone camera (i.e. multiple stacks of images -> panorama)... don't know if it will work, but if I don't try, I'll never know...

Likes Drakkith

1. What is "Mobile astrophotos premiere"?

Mobile astrophotos premiere is a mobile application that allows users to take and edit astrophotography images directly on their smartphones or tablets. It offers a variety of tools and filters specifically designed for astrophotography, making it easier for non-professional photographers to capture stunning images of the night sky.

2. Is the quality of astrophotography images taken with a mobile device comparable to those taken with a professional camera?

While professional cameras may offer more advanced features and higher resolution, the quality of astrophotography images taken with a mobile device can still be impressive. With the right techniques and equipment, such as a tripod and external lenses, mobile astrophotography can produce high-quality images that rival those taken with professional cameras.

3. Can I edit astrophotography images on my mobile device?

Yes, mobile astrophotos premiere offers a variety of editing tools and filters that allow users to enhance and modify their astrophotography images directly on their mobile devices. This makes it convenient for users to capture and edit images on the go, without the need for a computer or specialized software.

4. Are there any specific settings I should use for astrophotography on my mobile device?

Yes, there are a few key settings that can greatly improve the quality of astrophotography images on a mobile device. These include adjusting the exposure time, ISO, and white balance settings, as well as using a tripod and external lenses for stability and clarity.

5. Can I share my astrophotography images directly from the mobile app?

Yes, mobile astrophotos premiere allows users to easily share their images on various social media platforms, such as Instagram and Facebook. It also offers the option to save images to the device's camera roll or share them via email or messaging apps.