Modern physics after quantum mechanics

In summary: Or you could also read a book called The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking. It's a bit more theoretical, but it will give you a good background in modern physics.In summary, the next topics to study after quantum mechanics are general relativity and quantum field theory. After that, it depends on what you're most interested in.
user_12345
Hello everyone.
I am studying physics as a self-study and would like advice on the next topics to study.
So far I have been studying:
-calculus, linear algebra and basic physics
-classical mechanics (from Goldstein's textbook)
-classical electrodynamics and special relativity (from Griffiths textbook and "Spacetime physics")
-mathematical methods (from Boas' textbook)
-quantum mechanics (from Griffiths' textbook and some topics from Sakurai's textbook)

What should I study after that?
General relativity, QFT, another topic? I've browsed through some general relativity and QFT books, but they seem too advanced (differential geometry, spinors, etc). What are the prerequisites needed for these subjects?
My goal is to understand modern physics (what happens at the LHC, string theory, cosmology, etc).
Thank you and sorry for my English.

Likes bob012345
Physics news on Phys.org
user_12345 said:
Hello everyone.
I am studying physics as a self-study and would like advice on the next topics to study.
-classical electrodynamics and special relativity (from Griffiths textbook and "Spacetime physics")
-quantum mechanics (from Griffiths' textbook and some topics from Sakurai's textbook)

General relativity, QFT, another topic? I've browsed through some general relativity and QFT books, but they seem too advanced (differential geometry, spinors, etc). What are the prerequisites needed for these subjects?
My goal is to understand modern physics (what happens at the LHC, string theory, cosmology, etc).
That depends on a lot of factors. Why are you self-studying physics? What do you want to do with it? How much time and effort can you give to self-study? Perhaps most important is what are you most interested in?

Likes user_12345
I'm studying physics because I've always liked it but couldn't study it in the past.
I can spend about 3 hours a day studying.
I would like to get to understand the experiments (LHC, etc) and modern theories like string theory, etc.
It would be great if I could have an understanding of physics that would allow me to understand papers related to physics.
A dream would be to be able to make discoveries and come up with theories (but I admit this is too ambitious a goal).
Sorry for my English.

Likes bob012345
It seems to me that you should focus on particle physics first which is basically everything involved in what is called the Standard Model starting with QFT. I recommend getting a book I have called Particle Physics: A Los Alamos Primer. You can read it online if you can't find a hard copy. Note, don't confuse that with a different book simply called The Los Alamos Primer which is completely different.

Attachments

• 59a29efa-8d26-4140-887f-d4d2a8e02560_1.7dc3e6c54f04981b9951aee89f936d95.jpg
    59a29efa-8d26-4140-887f-d4d2a8e02560_1.7dc3e6c54f04981b9951aee89f936d95.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Likes user_12345
You are covering a large chunk of physics curriculum. The only indispensable thing that is missing is statistical mechanics.

I would recommend a second course in QM at the level of Cohen-Tannoudji instead of Sakurai. Though, seeing your interests, you can try introduction to elementary particles by Griffiths, 2nd editon.

String theory is a world on itself, Many expert on QFT know nothing about it. Not to mention the big possibility that it has nothing to do with reality.

Likes user_12345
user_12345 said:
Hello everyone.

What about Griffiths (him again) Introduction to Particle Physics. I think it's a good prerequisite for QFT.

Or Scott Hughes from MIT lectures on GR on YouTube. Very good intro to GR, starting with SR from the geometric perspective.

Likes user_12345

1. What is the difference between classical physics and modern physics?

Classical physics is based on Newton's laws of motion and describes the behavior of macroscopic objects, while modern physics is based on quantum mechanics and describes the behavior of microscopic particles.

2. How did quantum mechanics revolutionize our understanding of the physical world?

Quantum mechanics introduced the concept of wave-particle duality, which showed that particles can behave as both waves and particles. It also introduced the uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty.

3. What are some of the key concepts in modern physics?

Some key concepts in modern physics include relativity, quantum mechanics, particle physics, and the standard model. These concepts help us understand the fundamental properties and interactions of matter and energy.

4. How has modern physics impacted technology and everyday life?

Modern physics has led to the development of technologies such as transistors, lasers, and nuclear power, which have greatly impacted our daily lives. It has also helped us understand the behavior of materials and create new materials with unique properties.

5. What are some current challenges in modern physics?

Some current challenges in modern physics include the search for a theory of everything that can unify quantum mechanics and relativity, understanding the nature of dark matter and dark energy, and developing new technologies to explore the quantum world on a larger scale.