• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Programs Module Choice advice for a theoretical physics degree (Durham)

I'm starting at Durham on the 29th of September and I need to get my module choices sorted. I have the choice between 40 credits of maths modules designed for scientists, and 40 credits of maths modules done by regular maths students. They say that you should only do the regular maths modules if you will transfer to the maths and physics course, but I'm not sure what would be best for my future plans(currently I plan to go on to do a PhD).

My question is, would the maths and physics course better prepare me for a PhD in theoretical physics or a similar field, or should I stay with the regular theoretical physics course. I've had a look at the future module choices myself, e.g. there is more GR in the fourth year for maths and physics, but obviously I don't really know what most of the modules actually entail since I'm only just starting.

here are the course structures for both courses(for the maths and physics one, go to the bottom of the pdf)

Maths and Physics: https://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/faculty.handbook/degrees/frameworks/fgc0.pdf
Theoretical Physics: https://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/faculty.handbook/degrees/frameworks/f344.pdf

Appreciate any help!

In general it does not matter much. I know people that moved from physics (MSc) to mechanical engineering (PhD) and from mathematics to physics. The initial condition is less important than your ability to quickly master a topic. I think it is better to take the module that you think is the most interesting, as people tend to score better on topics that they like more.
You do not know yet your PhD topic so it is difficult to say what you would need for that. But all of these courses will exist when you start your PhD so you can follow necessary courses at the start of your PhD.

You can also look for Durham PhD theses on topics that you like and and find the supervising professors. Ask them their opinion on the different modules.

In general it does not matter much. I know people that moved from physics (MSc) to mechanical engineering (PhD) and from mathematics to physics. The initial condition is less important than your ability to quickly master a topic. I think it is better to take the module that you think is the most interesting, as people tend to score better on topics that they like more.
You do not know yet your PhD topic so it is difficult to say what you would need for that. But all of these courses will exist when you start your PhD so you can follow necessary courses at the start of your PhD.

You can also look for Durham PhD theses on topics that you like and and find the supervising professors. Ask them their opinion on the different modules.
Okay thank you, I think I'll stick with the regular modules