Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Molasses vs. Rust

1. Mar 2, 2015 #1
    Hello all, I am currently doing research on the process of rust inhibition and removal using molasses but finding info is tedious (the process is slow as...........) :) Anyways, does anyone happen to know the exact science and chemical processes. Any info is appreciated. I will also be posting the findings of my experiment on this site. I have a hold of two 1920 Ford Model T pistons that are caked in rust. These are going to be submerged in molasses for quite a while. I will be using molasses to de-rust the masses! (I know there is a pun!) Cheers!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2015 #2
    molasses? :DD

4. Mar 2, 2015 #3
    yes. Molasses indeed. In short, can anyone elaborate upon what (ex. citric acid, etc.) is produced when molasses ferments? Thanks!

5. Mar 2, 2015 #4
  6. Mar 2, 2015 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Have you tried to search for "rust removal with molasses"? There are definitely people reporting it as working. What is the chemistry behind I have no idea, but it is an organic mixture that can contain some chelating agents, so I would not reject it just because it sounds funny.

An important thing to consider - I would keep parts and the solution it in a sealed container, to reduce amount of oxygen dissolving.

7. Mar 3, 2015 #6

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Some sugars are pretty good reducing species. Maybe you are reducing the oxides at the metal surface?

The Tollens test is a famous old reaction that used to be used to test for the presence of reducing sugars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tollens'_reagent

You can make a lovely mirror with the silver reagent and a reducing agent:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook