Molasses to Remove Rust from 1920 Ford Model T Pistons

• Thread starter kokolyia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rust
In summary, the conversation is about using molasses for rust inhibition and removal. The original poster is seeking information on the exact science and chemical processes involved in using molasses for this purpose. They plan to conduct an experiment using molasses to de-rust old car parts and will share their findings on a website. Another user suggests using sulphuric acid instead of molasses, but others suggest that molasses can work due to its organic composition and potential chelating agents. It is recommended to keep the parts and solution in a sealed container to reduce oxygen exposure, and it is noted that molasses contains reducing sugars which can aid in rust removal. A famous reaction called the Tollens test is mentioned as an example of the reducing properties of
kokolyia
Hello all, I am currently doing research on the process of rust inhibition and removal using molasses but finding info is tedious (the process is slow as...) :) Anyways, does anyone happen to know the exact science and chemical processes. Any info is appreciated. I will also be posting the findings of my experiment on this site. I have a hold of two 1920 Ford Model T pistons that are caked in rust. These are going to be submerged in molasses for quite a while. I will be using molasses to de-rust the masses! (I know there is a pun!) Cheers!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
molasses? :DD

yes. Molasses indeed. In short, can anyone elaborate upon what (ex. citric acid, etc.) is produced when molasses ferments? Thanks!

thankz said:
first search:

Have you tried to search for "rust removal with molasses"? There are definitely people reporting it as working. What is the chemistry behind I have no idea, but it is an organic mixture that can contain some chelating agents, so I would not reject it just because it sounds funny.

An important thing to consider - I would keep parts and the solution it in a sealed container, to reduce amount of oxygen dissolving.

Some sugars are pretty good reducing species. Maybe you are reducing the oxides at the metal surface?

The Tollens test is a famous old reaction that used to be used to test for the presence of reducing sugars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tollens'_reagent

You can make a lovely mirror with the silver reagent and a reducing agent:

1. How does molasses remove rust from 1920 Ford Model T Pistons?

Molasses contains a high concentration of sugar, which is a natural chelating agent. When mixed with water, the sugar in molasses binds to the iron oxide (rust) on the surface of the pistons, breaking it down and making it easier to remove.

2. Is molasses safe to use on 1920 Ford Model T Pistons?

Yes, molasses is a safe and non-toxic method for removing rust from pistons. It is also biodegradable and environmentally friendly.

3. How long does it take for molasses to remove rust from 1920 Ford Model T Pistons?

The amount of time it takes for molasses to remove rust from pistons can vary depending on the severity of the rust and the concentration of molasses used. It can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days.

4. Can I reuse the molasses mixture for multiple rounds of rust removal?

Yes, you can reuse the molasses mixture for multiple rounds of rust removal. However, the effectiveness may decrease with each use. It is recommended to use a fresh mixture for optimal results.

5. Are there any other benefits of using molasses to remove rust from 1920 Ford Model T Pistons?

Aside from being an effective and safe method for rust removal, molasses can also help to lubricate the pistons, making it easier to remove them from the engine. It can also help to prevent future rusting on the surface of the pistons.