Molasses vs. Rust

Hello all, I am currently doing research on the process of rust inhibition and removal using molasses but finding info is tedious (the process is slow as...........) :) Anyways, does anyone happen to know the exact science and chemical processes. Any info is appreciated. I will also be posting the findings of my experiment on this site. I have a hold of two 1920 Ford Model T pistons that are caked in rust. These are going to be submerged in molasses for quite a while. I will be using molasses to de-rust the masses! (I know there is a pun!) Cheers!

molasses? :DD

yes. Molasses indeed. In short, can anyone elaborate upon what (ex. citric acid, etc.) is produced when molasses ferments? Thanks!

Borek

Mentor
first search:
Have you tried to search for "rust removal with molasses"? There are definitely people reporting it as working. What is the chemistry behind I have no idea, but it is an organic mixture that can contain some chelating agents, so I would not reject it just because it sounds funny.

An important thing to consider - I would keep parts and the solution it in a sealed container, to reduce amount of oxygen dissolving.

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
Gold Member
Some sugars are pretty good reducing species. Maybe you are reducing the oxides at the metal surface?

The Tollens test is a famous old reaction that used to be used to test for the presence of reducing sugars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tollens'_reagent

You can make a lovely mirror with the silver reagent and a reducing agent: