Molecular nanotechnology and programmable matter

In summary, the speaker's plan is to study 'engineering physics with materials science' in university and focus on molecular nanotechnology and programmable matter. They want to work on creating advanced materials, including medical nanomachines, to aid in the elimination of aging. The speaker asks for suggestions on necessary courses and skills for their desired field.
Superhet
My plan right now is to study a program called 'engineering physics with materials science' when I enter university in the fall. What I want to work with is molecular nanotechnology and programmable matter. I want to contribute to creating stuff like "computronium", utility fog, self-healing materials and in particular medical nanomachines with the purpose of aiding the elimination of aging. I know, all easily accomplished in a day's work right? :wink:

So my question is, what do you think would be particularly necessary or useful courses to take for these (highly hypothethical) things beyond just the obvious blanket statement of "math, physics, chemistry and computing"? What sub-fields will I need to focus on and combine in particular, what skills will I need? Or perhaps this is too broad to give more than a blanket answer. In either case I'm thankful for the clarity.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Superhet said:
My plan right now is to study a program called 'engineering physics with materials science' when I enter university in the fall. What I want to work with is molecular nanotechnology and programmable matter. I want to contribute to creating stuff like "computronium", utility fog, self-healing materials and in particular medical nanomachines with the purpose of aiding the elimination of aging. I know, all easily accomplished in a day's work right? :wink:

So my question is, what do you think would be particularly necessary or useful courses to take for these (highly hypothethical) things beyond just the obvious blanket statement of "math, physics, chemistry and computing"? What sub-fields will I need to focus on and combine in particular, what skills will I need? Or perhaps this is too broad to give more than a blanket answer. In either case I'm thankful for the clarity.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Sounds like fun things to study and to work with. What periodicals covering those subjects have you been reading? Are there certain peer-reviewed journals that cover those subjects routinely? What universities seem to have good programs in those areas? Do those schools publish the courses that are required for those majors?

1. What is molecular nanotechnology?

Molecular nanotechnology is a branch of nanotechnology that deals with the design, creation, and manipulation of structures and devices at the molecular level. It involves working with individual atoms and molecules to build functional materials and systems.

2. How does molecular nanotechnology differ from traditional manufacturing methods?

Molecular nanotechnology differs from traditional manufacturing methods in that it allows for precise control and manipulation of individual molecules, leading to the creation of materials and devices with unique and highly desirable properties. Traditional manufacturing relies on larger scale processes and does not have the same level of precision and control.

3. What is programmable matter?

Programmable matter refers to material that can change its physical properties, such as shape, density, or conductivity, in a controlled and predictable manner. This is achieved through the use of molecular nanotechnology, where individual molecules are programmed to respond to specific stimuli or instructions.

4. What are the potential applications of molecular nanotechnology and programmable matter?

The potential applications of molecular nanotechnology and programmable matter are vast and include fields such as medicine, energy, electronics, and material science. Some examples include targeted drug delivery, self-healing materials, and advanced computing and data storage systems.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with molecular nanotechnology and programmable matter?

As with any emerging technology, there are potential risks associated with molecular nanotechnology and programmable matter. These include ethical concerns, such as the potential for misuse or unintended consequences, as well as environmental and health risks. It is important for responsible and ethical research and development to be conducted in this field to mitigate these risks.