Momentum/Elastic Potential Energy

In summary, two blocks of masses M and 3M are initially placed on a frictionless surface with a light spring attached to one of them. After the blocks are pushed together and the cord holding them is burned, the block of mass 3M moves to the right with a speed of 2.85 m/s. By using the equations for momentum and elastic potential energy, the velocity of block mass M can be calculated to be -8.55 m/s. To find the system's original elastic potential energy, the equation 1/2kx^2=1/2MV^2+1/2(3M)V^2 is used, where M is given as 0.300 kg and 3M
hellomister

Homework Statement

Two blocks of masses M and 3M are placed on a horizontal, frictionless surface. A light spring is attached to one of them, and the blocks are pushed together with the spring between them as shown in the figure below. A cord initially holding the blocks together is burned; after that happens, the block of mass 3M moves to the right with a speed of 2.85 m/s.

Image: http://www.webassign.net/serpse/serpse7_p9-4.gifa. What is the velocity of block mass M? Assume Right is positive and left is negative
I got the solution to this. It was -8.55 m/s
b. Find the system's original elastic potential energy, taking M= .300 Kg
This one i don't understand how you can find the elastic potential energy without knowing the spring constant/distance compressed.

Homework Equations

Pinitial=Pfinal
P=MV

Us= 1/2 KX^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the solution for part a.
m1v1+m2v2=0
v1=-m2/m1 *v2
v1=-3m/m*(2.85)
v1=-8.55

part b.

potential energy for a spring is 1/2KX^2
The problem gives the mass M as .300kg therefore mass 3M= .900kg
1/2kx^2=1/2MV^2+1/2(3M)V^2

I took a chance and i solved it and put it in and i was right!

thank you physicznoob a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
remember, period is dependant on the mass for a spring. for a pendulum it isnt.

oh! thanks! i think i got it.

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a physics concept that describes the quantity of motion an object has. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

2. How is momentum conserved?

Momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning that the total momentum of all objects before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

3. What is elastic potential energy?

Elastic potential energy is a type of potential energy that is stored in an object when it is stretched or compressed. It is dependent on the object's elasticity and the amount of deformation.

4. How is elastic potential energy related to momentum?

Elastic potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy, which is related to an object's momentum. When an object with elastic potential energy is released, it will accelerate and gain momentum as the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy.

5. Can momentum and elastic potential energy be measured?

Yes, both momentum and elastic potential energy can be measured using mathematical equations and units of measurement such as kilograms, meters per second, and joules.