Momentum of two colliding trollies.

• Thread starter coconut62
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the conversation discusses three failed attempts at solving a problem involving the conservation of momentum and energy. The correct solution is found and it is revealed that mechanical energy is not conserved in this scenario due to an inelastic collision causing the cars to stick together. The possibility of transferring all kinetic energy from one trolley to another while still sticking together is also questioned and determined to not be possible.
coconut62
The question is shown in the first image attached.

I did three ways to solve it, and all three answers were wrong. After some trial and errors, I found the correct solution, which is written in the little box in the second image.

However, I still find my three solutions reasonable. I used both Principle of Conservation of Momentum and Principle of Conservation of Energy. I substituted everything correctly too. Why are they wrong?

Attachments

• 20130403_170230.jpg
    20130403_170230.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 357
  • 20130403_170238.jpg
    20130403_170238.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 359
Physics news on Phys.org
Kinetic energy is not conserved here since it is an inelastic collision.
For your first attempt, just use the first equation you've written down, remembering that mA = mB

coconut62 said:
I used both Principle of Conservation of Momentum and Principle of Conservation of Energy.
Mechanical energy is not conserved--the cars stick together. In fact, one of the questions asks for the fraction of KE lost.

ap123, thank you.

Doc Al said:
Mechanical energy is not conserved--the cars stick together.

Is it possible for one of the trolley to transfer all of its kinetic energy to another trolley while still being able to stick together with it? I mean like, when the first trolley hits the other, in that fraction of a second before any sound energy could be produced, the second trolley just starts moving and kinetic energy is conserved?

coconut62 said:
Is it possible for one of the trolley to transfer all of its kinetic energy to another trolley while still being able to stick together with it? I mean like, when the first trolley hits the other, in that fraction of a second before any sound energy could be produced, the second trolley just starts moving and kinetic energy is conserved?
No, not if they stick together.

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is defined as the product of its mass and velocity.

How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass (m) by its velocity (v), or p = mv.

What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that momentum is conserved and does not change during a collision.

How does momentum affect the collision of two trollies?

The momentum of the two trollies will determine how they will collide. If one trolley has a larger momentum than the other, it will exert a greater force on the other trolley during the collision.

Can the momentum of two trollies be equal?

Yes, the momentum of two trollies can be equal if they have the same mass and velocity. In this case, the collision will result in the two trollies coming to a stop, with their combined momentum being zero.