1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum of two colliding trollies.

1. Apr 3, 2013 #1
    The question is shown in the first image attached.

I did three ways to solve it, and all three answers were wrong. After some trial and errors, I found the correct solution, which is written in the little box in the second image.

However, I still find my three solutions reasonable. I used both Principle of Conservation of Momentum and Principle of Conservation of Energy. I substituted everything correctly too. Why are they wrong?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2013 #2
    Kinetic energy is not conserved here since it is an inelastic collision.
    For your first attempt, just use the first equation you've written down, remembering that mA = mB

4. Apr 3, 2013 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Mechanical energy is not conserved--the cars stick together. In fact, one of the questions asks for the fraction of KE lost.

5. Apr 3, 2013 #4
    ap123, thank you.

Is it possible for one of the trolley to transfer all of its kinetic energy to another trolley while still being able to stick together with it? I mean like, when the first trolley hits the other, in that fraction of a second before any sound energy could be produced, the second trolley just starts moving and kinetic energy is conserved?

6. Apr 3, 2013 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

No, not if they stick together.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted