Moon falling from rest to Earth impact speed

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
brendan3eb
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Gravitational Potential Energy Problem

Homework Statement


Suppose that the moon were at rest at its present distance from the earth, rather than orbiting it. With what speed would it strike the earth? (Take the Earth to be infinitely massive relative to the moon)


Homework Equations


Mass of Earth = 5.98x10^24 kg
Distance from center of Earth to center of moon = R = 3.82x10^8 m
Mean radius of Earth = Re = 6.37x10^6 m
Gravitational potential energy = -GMm/R
K1+U1=K2+U2

The Attempt at a Solution


K1=0
k2=(1/2)Mmv^2
U1=-GMeMm/R
U2=-GMeMm/Re
(1/2)Mmv^2-GMeMm/R=-GMeMm/Re
when I eliminate the mass of the moon and plug in all the numbers to solve I get 11.10 km/s, but I know the right answer is 9.8 km/s. Anyone see what I am doing wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
a-ha! Bingo! Thank you so much. The second potential energy distance would have be the sum of the radius of the Earth AND the moon! Let's see our numbers...yep 9.8 km/s!

Thank you so much!