Moon occultation of Mars tonight

• Thread starter Creator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mars Moon
In summary, on July 5th at 9 pm central time, two individuals observed a stunning view of the quarter moon with Mars sitting about 15 arc minutes off the edge. This was a surprise for the individual at 30* N. Latitude, who then looked up information on the event and realized it was a Mars occultation visible from South America. The appearance of the Mars and moon conjunction was similar to a photo from Sky & Telescope, but with a slightly dimmer planet brightness. The individuals suggest checking it out if you are on planet Earth tonight and also mention the close proximity of Mars being more pronounced at lower latitudes.
Creator
Tonight; July 5th, 9 pm central time.
I just happened to look up and catch a gorgeous view (perfectly clear) of the quarter moon with a tiny "star" just barely visible above the terminator about 1/4 moon diameter, grabbed my binoculars, then googled it, and realized it was Mars sitting about 15 arc minutes off the edge. What a surprise; I am at 30* N. Latitude (central US).
I haven't been following observationally lately...Apparently a Mars occultation will be visible tonight from South America.
In my location it appeared like the "Miami" "Photo" here: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/observing-news/two-planet-moon-conjunctions-in-july/
...except the planet brightness appears dimmer than in the mock photo.
Check it out if you're on planet Earth tonight.
Nice.
Creator.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Yeah, I did the same thing you did, Creator. Looked up and said, "Wow, that star is really close to the moon". Then I looked it up and saw it was Mars.

Thanks, Drakkith;
You must also be in southern latitude...the close proximity of Mars was more pronounced at lower latitudes.

I'm at about 30 degrees north in latitude.

Anyone grab some photos?

1. What is a moon occultation of Mars?

A moon occultation of Mars is an astronomical event in which the moon passes in front of Mars, temporarily blocking our view of the planet. This can occur because of their relative positions in their orbits around the Earth.

2. When will the moon occultation of Mars occur?

The exact timing of a moon occultation of Mars can vary depending on the location of the viewer. However, for most locations, the event will occur on the night of September 5th, 2021.

3. How often does a moon occultation of Mars happen?

A moon occultation of Mars happens approximately every 2 years, as this is the average time it takes for the moon to pass in front of Mars in its orbit. However, due to the varying positions and speeds of the moon and Mars, the timing and frequency of these events can vary.

4. Do I need special equipment to view the moon occultation of Mars?

No special equipment is needed to view the moon occultation of Mars. However, a telescope or binoculars may enhance the viewing experience by allowing you to see more details on Mars, such as its polar ice caps.

5. Where is the best place to view the moon occultation of Mars?

The best place to view the moon occultation of Mars is in a location with clear skies and minimal light pollution. This could be a rooftop, open field, or an area away from city lights. Additionally, the event will be visible to viewers in both the northern and southern hemispheres.