Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moon occultation of Mars tonight

Tags:
  1. Jul 5, 2014 #1
    Tonight; July 5th, 9 pm central time.
    I just happened to look up and catch a gorgeous view (perfectly clear) of the quarter moon with a tiny "star" just barely visible above the terminator about 1/4 moon diameter, grabbed my binoculars, then googled it, and realized it was Mars sitting about 15 arc minutes off the edge. What a surprise; I am at 30* N. Latitude (central US).
    I haven't been following observationally lately...Apparently a Mars occultation will be visible tonight from South America.
    In my location it appeared like the "Miami" "Photo" here: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/observing-news/two-planet-moon-conjunctions-in-july/
    ...except the planet brightness appears dimmer than in the mock photo.
    Check it out if you're on planet earth tonight.
    Nice.
    Creator.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2014 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, I did the same thing you did, Creator. Looked up and said, "Wow, that star is really close to the moon". Then I looked it up and saw it was Mars.

4. Jul 6, 2014 #3
    Thanks, Drakkith;
    You must also be in southern latitude....the close proximity of Mars was more pronounced at lower latitudes.

5. Jul 6, 2014 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I'm at about 30 degrees north in latitude.

6. Jul 8, 2014 #5
    Anyone grab some photos?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook