Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More Abu Ghraib Abuse Pictures Released - by Australia media

1. Feb 16, 2006 #1
    Do correct me if i am wrong, but I am surprised news this explosive is not reported by the American or western media, even after it was broken by the press in Australia on 15th Feb. Instead they seemed to be quite obsessed with Cheney's quail mishap. Can you guys in America confirm or rebut, where applicable, my understanding? Any informed insight of why this may be so will be appreciated.

By the way, LONG TIME NO SEE GUYS, I miss you all *mwah mwah* :biggrin:

http://www.chinathetimes.com/mambofolder/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Itemid=50

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2006 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It's been reported in all the US news sources I've seen.

4. Feb 16, 2006 #3
    Hello Evo, how are you?

That will be reassuring to know indeed. May I respectfully enquire the name of the media which have done so, for my own gratification? Many thanks :smile: .

Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  5. Feb 16, 2006 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I saw this as front "page" news on msn 2 days ago.... I think Reuters was the first to get a hold of it?

6. Feb 16, 2006 #5

Art

I was looking for a site that actually has the 60 new pics. I found several with a few of them (the same few on each) but none with all. I haven't been able to access the web page of the news group in Australia that published them - SBS Dateline. Probably their server is too busy.

Here's a link to a site carrying those pics which are widely available http://www.chinathetimes.com/mambofolder/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Itemid=50

Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  7. Feb 16, 2006 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Polly, it's been all over the US news. It's on Reuters, CNN, you can find it on ABC News, CBS News, Washington Post, Chicago Tribune, San Francisco Chronicle, USA Today, and on and on. Take your pic.

8. Feb 16, 2006 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah once Reuters or the AP gets a hold on something, it spreads like wildfire across US publications.

9. Feb 16, 2006 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's really nothing very "explosive" about this "news". When the last bunch of pics were released, Rummy made a statement along the lines that there are more pictures which are way more incendiary than those released...these other pics shall not be released by the authorities for obvious reasons. So, there is nothing new being told to us by releasing the new pics except for filling in details. It's not really likely, unless I'm mistaken, that this is going to affect the results of any investigation or change in policy.

10. Feb 16, 2006 #9
    Great, you are starting to realice that the us media is not that "Independent"

11. Feb 16, 2006 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought the term "independent media" refered to media that is not under government ownership/control.

12. Feb 16, 2006 #11

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, it has been in the news since at least yesterday here in the Netherlands so apparently it has been all over the news everywhere. And as Gokul says, I don't see what would be the explosive news value as you name it.

13. Feb 16, 2006 #12
    The media is under Corporate control, just like the US goverment :rolleyes: It doesn't have to be explicit...

14. Feb 16, 2006 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I have a feeling you don't really understand what Reuters and the AP are...

15. Feb 17, 2006 #14
    Reuters is a global information company providing indispensable information tailored for professionals in the financial services, media and corporate markets. Our information is trusted and drives decision making across the globe. We have a reputation for speed, accuracy and freedom from bias.

Although we are best known as the world's largest international multimedia news agency, more than 90% of our revenue derives from our financial services business. Some 330,000 financial market professionals working in the equities, fixed income, foreign exchange, money, commodities and energy markets around the world use Reuters products. They rely on Reuters services to provide them with the information and tools they need to help them be more productive.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Reuters is hand to hand with the big corporations..

Let's see the directors of Reuters Founders Share Company:

Len Berkowitz,
    Adviser to the Governor to the bank of england

Pehr Gyllenhammar
    Volvo Executive Chairman
    Chase Manhattan Bank International Advisory Committee

Uffe Ellemann-JensenA strong supporter of NATO and the European Union based upon his belief in Western cohesion led to many political battles with the left-wing opposition

Sir William Purves
    Banker. He joined the Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation (HSBC) in 1954, advancing to become its Chief Executive (1986) and Chairman (1987).

Mark Wossner
    Wössner, currently Chairman of the Advisory Board and Chairman at Citigroup Global Markets Deutschland AG & Co KGaA, served as Chairman of the Management Board of Bertelsmann AG from 1982 to 1998 and from then until 2000 as Chairman of the company's Supervisory Board. Wössner is also a member of several other Supervisory Boards, including that of DaimlerChrysler AG.
    So it seems that Reuters is a private corporation directed mostly by bankers...

Ap is a diferent story becouse it's a coperative made by the newspapers radio and media..

Anyway all this is off topic. There is a Thread on the media in the
    "Thread Directory of frequently discussed topics "

16. Feb 17, 2006 #15

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The media are corporations (Time Warner, Disney, Murdoch's, Bertelsmann, Viacom, etc.)

Although I have to admit - I wonder if Wilbert Tauzin, representative from Louisiana until this year, was ever home or at work. He's been on more media sponsored junkets than anyone I've ever seen. I guess being Chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committe (which oversees telecommunications and the FCC) has its perqs.

Edit: http://www.openairwaves.org/telecom/itview.aspx?act=trips&sub=broadcast

17. Feb 17, 2006 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Could you provide a source Burnsys?

18. Feb 17, 2006 #17
    I just take some of the members of the board and top stockholders from reuters page:

http://about.reuters.com/aboutus/overview/independence.asp
    You just have to google each one of those and you will know their historys, you don't need to be a detective.. i taked most of them from wiki..

Here we have a couple more of top reuters Directors:

Niall FitzGerald - Chairman
    Niall FitzGerald became Chairman of Reuters on 1st October, 2004. Previously, he was Joint Chairman and CEO of Unilever. He joined the board of Reuters as a non-executive director on 1 January 2003
    Member of the International Advisory Board of the Council on Foreign Relations
    His former appointments include: Non-Executive Directorships of Merck, Ericsson, Bank of Ireland and the Prudential Corporation, member of the Accounting Standards Review Committee, member of the Finance and Industry Committee of the NEDC, and member of the International Policy Council for Agriculture and Trade. Age 60.

Devin Wenig – President of Business Divisions
    President, Investment Banking (2001-2003). Joined Reuters in 1993 as Corporate Counsel,

Ken Olisa
    Ken Olisa is Chairman of Interregnum plc, a technology merchant bank which he founded in 1992

Dick Olver
    Dick was Deputy Group Chief Executive of BP PLC until May 2004. He was also Chief Executive Officer of BP Exploration and Production Division between 1998 and 2002.
    In 1985 he became divisional manager of Corporate Planning for British Petroleum, and led the strategic team on the acquisition by BP of Standard Oil in the United States. In 1988 he became general manager, Gas, BP Exploration Europe, responsible for the operation, new business development and asset management of BP and Britoil's European gas portfolio

Ian Strachan
    He spent 16 years with Exxon Corporation and held various senior positions in New York, Houston, Thailand and Japan. In 1982 he was appointed Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the Esso Group of Companies in Hong Kong and China.

Sir Deryck Maughan
    Deryck Maughan is a Director of GlaxoSmithKline plc, Managing Director of KKR and Chairman of KKR, Asia. He was previously Chairman and CEO of Citigroup International.

http://about.reuters.com/aboutus/overview/board.asp#title1

19. Feb 17, 2006 #18

Pengwuino

Gold Member

You might want to try to refrain from cherry picking information like that Burnsys. You might also think about bringing your arguments into context.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reuters_Group_plc

I would hope they have a fair number of financially minded people on their management staff...

20. Feb 17, 2006 #19
    A lot of Americans are experiencing a new hybrid mental phenomina. It is a cross between "scandal fatigue" and Short Attention Span Theater. In short many just plain don't care anymore.

The new pictures were mentioned in the U.S news media, but none were shown. They are on the internet however at Salon.com

21. Feb 17, 2006 #20

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Reuters is primarily a provider of market news and analysis to the finance sector. It's natural that it is run by people with a strong financial background.

Burnsys : When you are quoting from a source, please enclose the relevant text within quote tags. And secondly, how much more work is it to paste the link to every source you quote/reference ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?