More Abu Ghraib Abuse Pictures Released - by Australia media

In summary: IKEA and Coca Cola.He is also a director of British Steel.Len Berkowitz, Adviser to the Governor to the bank of england, Pehr Gyllenhammar, Volvo Executive Chairman, Chase Manhattan Bank International Advisory Committee, Uffe Ellemann-Jensen, IKEA Director, Coca Cola Director.
Polly
Do correct me if i am wrong, but I am surprised news this explosive is not reported by the American or western media, even after it was broken by the press in Australia on 15th Feb. Instead they seemed to be quite obsessed with Cheney's quail mishap. Can you guys in America confirm or rebut, where applicable, my understanding? Any informed insight of why this may be so will be appreciated.

By the way, LONG TIME NO SEE GUYS, I miss you all *mwah mwah* :biggrin:

http://www.chinathetimes.com/mambofolder/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Itemid=50

Physics news on Phys.org
It's been reported in all the US news sources I've seen.

Hello Evo, how are you?

That will be reassuring to know indeed. May I respectfully enquire the name of the media which have done so, for my own gratification? Many thanks :smile: .

Last edited:
I saw this as front "page" news on msn 2 days ago... I think Reuters was the first to get a hold of it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Polly said:
Hello Evo, how are you?

That will be reassuring to know indeed. May I respectfully enquire the name of the media which have done so, for my own gratification? Many thanks :smile: .
Polly, it's been all over the US news. It's on Reuters, CNN, you can find it on ABC News, CBS News, Washington Post, Chicago Tribune, San Francisco Chronicle, USA Today, and on and on. Take your pic.

Yah once Reuters or the AP gets a hold on something, it spreads like wildfire across US publications.

Polly said:
Do correct me if i am wrong, but I am surprised news this explosive is not reported by the American or western media, even after it was broken by the press in Australia on 15th Feb.
There's really nothing very "explosive" about this "news". When the last bunch of pics were released, Rummy made a statement along the lines that there are more pictures which are way more incendiary than those released...these other pics shall not be released by the authorities for obvious reasons. So, there is nothing new being told to us by releasing the new pics except for filling in details. It's not really likely, unless I'm mistaken, that this is going to affect the results of any investigation or change in policy.

Pengwuino said:
Yah once Reuters or the AP gets a hold on something, it spreads like wildfire across US publications.
Great, you are starting to realice that the us media is not that "Independent"

Burnsys said:
I thought the term "independent media" referred to media that is not under government ownership/control.

Polly said:
Do correct me if i am wrong, but I am surprised news this explosive is not reported by the American or western media, even after it was broken by the press in Australia on 15th Feb.
Well, it has been in the news since at least yesterday here in the Netherlands so apparently it has been all over the news everywhere. And as Gokul says, I don't see what would be the explosive news value as you name it.

Gokul43201 said:
I thought the term "independent media" referred to media that is not under government ownership/control.
The media is under Corporate control, just like the US government :rolleyes: It doesn't have to be explicit...

Burnsys said:

I have a feeling you don't really understand what Reuters and the AP are...

Pengwuino said:
I have a feeling you don't really understand what Reuters and the AP are...

Reuters is a global information company providing indispensable information tailored for professionals in the financial services, media and corporate markets. Our information is trusted and drives decision making across the globe. We have a reputation for speed, accuracy and freedom from bias.

Although we are best known as the world's largest international multimedia news agency, more than 90% of our revenue derives from our financial services business. Some 330,000 financial market professionals working in the equities, fixed income, foreign exchange, money, commodities and energy markets around the world use Reuters products. They rely on Reuters services to provide them with the information and tools they need to help them be more productive.
---------------------------------------------------------
Reuters is hand to hand with the big corporations..

Let's see the directors of Reuters Founders Share Company:

Len Berkowitz,
Adviser to the Governor to the bank of england

Pehr Gyllenhammar
Volvo Executive Chairman
Chase Manhattan Bank International Advisory Committee

Uffe Ellemann-JensenA strong supporter of NATO and the European Union based upon his belief in Western cohesion led to many political battles with the left-wing opposition

Sir William Purves
Banker. He joined the Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation (HSBC) in 1954, advancing to become its Chief Executive (1986) and Chairman (1987).

Mark Wossner
Wössner, currently Chairman of the Advisory Board and Chairman at Citigroup Global Markets Deutschland AG & Co KGaA, served as Chairman of the Management Board of Bertelsmann AG from 1982 to 1998 and from then until 2000 as Chairman of the company's Supervisory Board. Wössner is also a member of several other Supervisory Boards, including that of DaimlerChrysler AG.
So it seems that Reuters is a private corporation directed mostly by bankers...

Ap is a diferent story becouse it's a coperative made by the newspapers radio and media..

Anyway all this is off topic. There is a Thread on the media in the
"Thread Directory of frequently discussed topics "

Burnsys said:
The media is under Corporate control, just like the US government :rolleyes: It doesn't have to be explicit...
The media are corporations (Time Warner, Disney, Murdoch's, Bertelsmann, Viacom, etc.)

Although I have to admit - I wonder if Wilbert Tauzin, representative from Louisiana until this year, was ever home or at work. He's been on more media sponsored junkets than anyone I've ever seen. I guess being Chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committe (which oversees telecommunications and the FCC) has its perqs.

Edit: http://www.openairwaves.org/telecom/itview.aspx?act=trips&sub=broadcast

Could you provide a source Burnsys?

Pengwuino said:
Could you provide a source Burnsys?
I just take some of the members of the board and top stockholders from reuters page:

http://about.reuters.com/aboutus/overview/independence.asp
The directors of Reuters Founders Share Company are:

Pehr Gyllenhammar (Chairman); Len Berkowitz; The Hon Mrs Anson Chan GBM CBE JP; Sir Michael Checkland; Uffe Ellemann-Jensen MP; Bertrand Collomb; Sir Christopher Mallaby GCMG GCVO; Mammen Mathew; John H McArthur; The Rt Hon The Baroness Noakes, DBE; Sir William Purves CBE DSO; Jaakko Rauramo; Dr Mark Wossner; Dr Frene Ginwala, Mr Joseph Lelyveld; Mr John Fairfax and Jiri Dienstbier.
You just have to google each one of those and you will know their historys, you don't need to be a detective.. i taked most of them from wiki..

Here we have a couple more of top reuters Directors:

Niall FitzGerald - Chairman
Niall FitzGerald became Chairman of Reuters on 1st October, 2004. Previously, he was Joint Chairman and CEO of Unilever. He joined the board of Reuters as a non-executive director on 1 January 2003
Member of the International Advisory Board of the Council on Foreign Relations
His former appointments include: Non-Executive Directorships of Merck, Ericsson, Bank of Ireland and the Prudential Corporation, member of the Accounting Standards Review Committee, member of the Finance and Industry Committee of the NEDC, and member of the International Policy Council for Agriculture and Trade. Age 60.

Devin Wenig – President of Business Divisions
President, Investment Banking (2001-2003). Joined Reuters in 1993 as Corporate Counsel,

Ken Olisa
Ken Olisa is Chairman of Interregnum plc, a technology merchant bank which he founded in 1992

Dick Olver
Dick was Deputy Group Chief Executive of BP PLC until May 2004. He was also Chief Executive Officer of BP Exploration and Production Division between 1998 and 2002.
In 1985 he became divisional manager of Corporate Planning for British Petroleum, and led the strategic team on the acquisition by BP of Standard Oil in the United States. In 1988 he became general manager, Gas, BP Exploration Europe, responsible for the operation, new business development and asset management of BP and Britoil's European gas portfolio

Ian Strachan
He spent 16 years with Exxon Corporation and held various senior positions in New York, Houston, Thailand and Japan. In 1982 he was appointed Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the Esso Group of Companies in Hong Kong and China.

Sir Deryck Maughan
Deryck Maughan is a Director of GlaxoSmithKline plc, Managing Director of KKR and Chairman of KKR, Asia. He was previously Chairman and CEO of Citigroup International.

http://about.reuters.com/aboutus/overview/board.asp#title1

Last edited by a moderator:
You might want to try to refrain from cherry picking information like that Burnsys. You might also think about bringing your arguments into context.

Wiki said:
Reuters Group plc LSE: RTR NASDAQ: RTRSY is best known as a news service that provides reports from around the world to newspapers and broadcasters. However, news reporting accounts for less than 10% of the company's income. Its main focus is on supplying the financial markets with information and trading products. These include market data, such as share prices and currency rates, research and analytics, as well as trading systems that allow dealers to buy and sell such things as currencies and shares on a computer screen instead of by telephone or on a trading floor like that of the New York Stock Exchange. Competitors include Bloomberg L.P. and Dow Jones Newswires.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reuters_Group_plc

I would hope they have a fair number of financially minded people on their management staff...

Polly said:
Do correct me if i am wrong, but I am surprised news this explosive is not reported by the American or western media, even after it was broken by the press in Australia on 15th Feb. Instead they seemed to be quite obsessed with Cheney's quail mishap. Can you guys in America confirm or rebut, where applicable, my understanding? Any informed insight of why this may be so will be appreciated.

By the way, LONG TIME NO SEE GUYS, I miss you all *mwah mwah* :biggrin:

http://www.chinathetimes.com/mambofolder/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Itemid=50

A lot of Americans are experiencing a new hybrid mental phenomina. It is a cross between "scandal fatigue" and Short Attention Span Theater. In short many just plain don't care anymore.

The new pictures were mentioned in the U.S news media, but none were shown. They are on the internet however at Salon.com

Reuters is primarily a provider of market news and analysis to the finance sector. It's natural that it is run by people with a strong financial background.

Burnsys : When you are quoting from a source, please enclose the relevant text within quote tags. And secondly, how much more work is it to paste the link to every source you quote/reference ?

This obviously isn't going to get anywhere. We're all aware of the existence of these pictures, and the original question was answered. Now signing off . . .

edward said:
The new pictures were mentioned in the U.S news media, but none were shown. They are on the internet however at Salon.com
Not true, I saw the pictures on US mainstream sites. (at least some, I didn't follow the links to more to see how many there were as it really is only for those seeking some kind of perverse viewing, IMHO)

1. What are the new Abu Ghraib abuse pictures released by Australia media?

The new Abu Ghraib abuse pictures released by Australia media depict further instances of torture and abuse committed by American soldiers against Iraqi detainees at the Abu Ghraib prison during the Iraq War. These pictures were taken in 2003 and 2004 and show prisoners being subjected to physical and psychological abuse.

2. Why were these pictures released by Australia media?

The pictures were released by Australia media because they were leaked by an Australian journalist who received them from a source in the US military. The journalist felt it was important to expose the truth about the abuse taking place at Abu Ghraib and bring attention to the issue.

3. How did the release of these pictures impact the public's perception of the Iraq War?

The release of these pictures caused a great deal of public outrage and condemnation towards the US military and government. It also raised questions about the treatment of prisoners and the ethics of warfare, leading to further investigations and calls for accountability.

4. Have any actions been taken in response to these released pictures?

Yes, several soldiers were court-martialed and sentenced for their involvement in the abuse at Abu Ghraib. The US government also conducted investigations and implemented new policies and training to prevent similar incidents from occurring in the future.

5. Are there any other Abu Ghraib abuse pictures that have not been released?

It is unclear if there are any other Abu Ghraib abuse pictures that have not been released. The released pictures were only a small portion of the evidence that was gathered during investigations, and it is possible that there could be more pictures that have not been made public. However, it is also possible that all evidence has been released and made available to the public.