Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More outrageous - 'is is' or 'never wrong'

1. Aug 27, 2008 #1
    Which of them is more unpresidential and why - the Clintonism or the Bushism?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2008 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Obama does the "is is" thing too. :yuck:

4. Aug 27, 2008 #3
    And McCain does the "never wrong" (or is he never wrong)?

5. Aug 27, 2008 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure I've heard the "never wrong" one - could you post the full quote?

6. Aug 27, 2008 #5
    I put it in partial quotes because I could not find the direct source. I recall that Bush said in a press conference to the effect that he could not remember making a mistake. I'm sure many folks out there could provide a reference.

7. Aug 28, 2008 #6
    Try http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/04/20040413-20.html for one example:

8. Aug 28, 2008 #7

Evo

Russ was asking you to post where McCain said this, not Bush.

9. Aug 28, 2008 #8
    Clintonism, Bushism, Democrats, Republicans, Obama, McCain, what an incredible charade. Clearly the American people vote for the president and political leaders it deserves.

10. Aug 28, 2008 #9
    Evo,

I was attempting humor by reflecting on what Gokul43201 wrote. I hoped it was apparent in the thread overall. As Obama, so McCain (with a double negative, to boot).

11. Aug 28, 2008 #10

russ_watters

No, I didn't - the OP calls it a "bushism", so I assumed it was Bush who said it.

In any case, if that's all that it's based on, then the premise of the thread is a complete false-dichotomy. The Clintonism "is is" is an actual quote. The "bushism" is at best a paraphrase, but in the quote posted, it doesn't look to me like it is an accurate one.

But then, I guess that makes the answer to the OP's question easy: the Clintonism is much worse. But that's mainly just because he actually said it. If a person actually ever said 'I'm never wrong', then it'd be a toss-up.

12. Aug 28, 2008 #11

Evo

Ooops, since you asked that immediately after the claim that McCain said it, I thought you were referring to McCain.

13. Aug 28, 2008 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oops here too! It just struck me what "is is" thing Loren was refering to (only after reading Russ' last post). I was refering to a completely unrelated "is is" by Obama - a grammatical "yuck", not a connotative one.

Example: But the truth is, is that, our challenge is to get people persuaded that we can make progress when there's not evidence of that in their daily lives.

14. Aug 28, 2008 #13

russ_watters

See, this is why I think people need to be more explicit about their points. Even though Clinton's "is is" is a well-known quote, in order to properly discuss it, we need to read the actual quote. And that goes double for the paraphrased bushism.

15. Aug 28, 2008 #14
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachment_of_Bill_Clinton

16. Aug 28, 2008 #15
    I wouldn't want either of them teaching "ethics" to my kids, if I had any.

17. Aug 29, 2008 #16
    I couldn't say. They're pretty close. The thing is that Clinton was not only attempting so say he was not wrong he also gives the impression that side stepping the truth by creative or overly literal interpretation of a question is just normal operating procedure.

So to my mind we have arrogant or arrogant in defense of dishonesty. Without taking into regard the magnitude of the context I would have to say Clinton is worse.

18. Aug 30, 2008 #17
    But Bush was arrogant in playing politics while I believe Clinton was only be arrogant in defense of his personal privacy, so I rate Bush's quote as the worst. I rate lack of humility as more serious when compared to the other sins in the bible such as dishonesty. Grant it none of us is free from making mistakes and Clinton never said he was.

19. Aug 30, 2008 #18
    Ethics?

Or kids?

20. Aug 30, 2008 #19
    Depends on whether you learned your grammar.

21. Aug 31, 2008 #20
    That's why I made sure to say 'without regard to context'. It changes in that light but what the 'comments' indicate in and of themselves is fairly equal. The thing is that Clinton shows both dishonesty and lack of humility.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?