Outrageous Facts by Academically Validated Physicists

In summary: Universe)In summary, Richard Feynman believes that there must be antiparticles of particles because they can annihilate one another.
wittgenstein
Can anyone post here quotes from academically validated physicists that state outrageous facts? I realize that Bohr said that if one isn't shocked by QM one doesn't understand it. But I am looking for something more specific. For example a quote about superposition , entanglement etc. The idea that a particle does not have a location until "observed".
I will never understand all the math. I understand that one shouldn't have too much faith in authority. But a few quotes from respected physicists will facilitate a belief that QM is truly paradigm shattering.

Physics news on Phys.org
Something about Superposition. I need at least confirmation from a validated physicist to believe in something so outrageous. Do respected physicists really believe that an object has no location until measured? That it can be in more then one place at the same time?

I have searched the internet for quotes from respected physicists about superposition and entanglement but have found none! That surprised me. I expected that after superposition became orthodox there would be plenty of quotes that say that a particle can be in more then 2 places at once.

wittgenstein said:
I expected that after superposition became orthodox there would be plenty of quotes that say that a particle can be in more then 2 places at once.

Superposition doesn't say that.

So its basically Newtonian? Nothing unusual?

I have heard that it is the same old billard balls but has been portrayed as unusual by laymen.For example, that it is not that the cat is in two states, its just that we don't know what state it is in.

I always thought that Schrodinger's cat was suspicious. It would be A ( particle ) and not A (a particle ). And from a contradiction everything follows.

This is now veering into actual physics question, rather than just wanting quotes and making it a General Discussion topic. If you want to ask about quantum superposition, either browse the numerous existing threads on this topic, or ask in the Quantum Physics forum. Otherwise, you are derailing your own thread.

Zz.

I simply want quotes from physicists about superposition . How am I derailing my own thread? That is what the OP asked for. OK I will ask the question in a quantum section.

wittgenstein said:
I simply want quotes from physicists about superposition . How am I derailing my own thread? That is what the OP asked for. OK I will ask the question in a quantum section.

Read what you wrote here:

wittgenstein said:
I have heard that it is the same old billard balls but has been portrayed as unusual by laymen.For example, that it is not that the cat is in two states, its just that we don't know what state it is in.

wittgenstein said:
I always thought that Schrodinger's cat was suspicious. It would be A ( particle ) and not A (a particle ). And from a contradiction everything follows.

These are physics-related questions. You are no longer asking for "quotes".

Zz.

wittgenstein said:
So its basically Newtonian? Nothing unusual?

I said no such thing.

If you want to understand QM, there are better ways to go about it than a parade of misunderstandings, misstatements and misrepresentations, hoping someone will correct you.

Likes weirdoguy
Vanadium 50 said:
I said no such thing.

If you want to understand QM, there are better ways to go about it than a parade of misunderstandings, misstatements and misrepresentations, hoping someone will correct you.

Am currently reading a book about four personality types that have basis in genetics...

Hi again, @wittgenstein, I was about to post this in the other thread yesterday, but it got locked before I could post it.
wittgenstein said:
But a few quotes from respected physicists will facilitate a belief that QM is truly paradigm shattering.
Perhaps this short clip with Richard Feynman is in the ballpark of what you are asking for?

Richard Feynman - Quantum Mechanics

(note: here Feynman in my opinion regretfully says "god particles"* and I don't know why or what he means by that, so I suggest you please ignore that and replace it with just "particles" :wink:)
*Edit: He probably says "gut particles" and the subtitle was wrong.

Last edited:
I want to... explain why there must be antiparticles... It is easy to demonstrate that if Nature was nonrelativistic, if things started out that way then it would be that way for all time, and so the problem would be pushed back to Creation itself, and God only knows how that was done.

Richard Feynman "THE REASON FOR ANTIPARTICLES" 1986
https://www.cambridge.org/core/serv...c1_p1-60_CBO.pdf/reason_for_antiparticles.pdf
(p. 2, 3)

Last edited:
DennisN said:
(note: here Feynman in my opinion regretfully says "god particles" and I don't know why or what he means by that, so I suggest you please ignore that and replace it with just "particles" :wink:)
Although the video subtitle at 0m20s says `the "god particles" in the deep inner workings`,
it sounds like he is saying `the "gut particles" in the deep inner workings`...
"gut" maybe as in GUT ("grand unified theory") https://www.google.com/search?&q="gut particle"+physics .

Likes DennisN
steven-weinbergs-quotes-2.jpg

he-more-comprehensible-the-universe-becomes-the-more-pointless-it-seems-steven-weinberg-95-78-63.jpg

- extended:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGT2u2M8lP2zguAZVlg1grkprp26vyYP0nYKH_XJdMtP1F3aZbkw.png

Attachments

• he-more-comprehensible-the-universe-becomes-the-more-pointless-it-seems-steven-weinberg-95-78-63.jpg
    he-more-comprehensible-the-universe-becomes-the-more-pointless-it-seems-steven-weinberg-95-78-63.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 544
  • images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGT2u2M8lP2zguAZVlg1grkprp26vyYP0nYKH_XJdMtP1F3aZbkw.png
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGT2u2M8lP2zguAZVlg1grkprp26vyYP0nYKH_XJdMtP1F3aZbkw.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 359
  • steven-weinbergs-quotes-2.jpg
    steven-weinbergs-quotes-2.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 570
Last edited:
Likes DennisN
The Weinberg quote sounds like a subtle pitch for "string theory" (a point-less theory).

Likes AlexCaledin
robphy said:
Although the video subtitle at 0m20s says `the "god particles" in the deep inner workings`,
"gut" maybe as in GUT ("grand unified theory").
Yes, I've listened to it twice now without watching the subtitles, and I think you are right, it sounds like "gut" or "GUT". So my guess it was bad subtitles. Thanks! :smile:

DennisN said:
Hi again, @wittgensteinRichard Feynman - Quantum Mechanics

(note: here Feynman in my opinion regretfully says "god particles" and I don't know why or what he means by that, so I suggest you please ignore that and replace it with just "particles" :wink:)

robphy said:
"gut" maybe as in GUT ("grand unified theory") https://www.google.com/search?&q="gut particle"+physics .

DennisN said:
Yes, I've listened to it twice now without watching the subtitles, and I think you are right, it sounds like "gut" or "GUT". So my guess it was bad subtitles. Thanks! :smile:

Definitely "gut", but not GUT as in Grand Unified Theory, but gut, as in definition 2 from Merriam-Webster online,

"2 guts plural : the inner essential parts
// the guts of a car"

Likes DennisN

1. What are some of the most outrageous facts about the universe according to academically validated physicists?

Some of the most outrageous facts about the universe according to academically validated physicists include the existence of black holes, the concept of parallel universes, and the idea of time travel.

2. How do academically validated physicists support their outrageous claims?

Academically validated physicists support their claims through extensive research and experimentation, using the scientific method to gather evidence and data to support their theories.

3. Are these outrageous facts widely accepted by the scientific community?

While some of these outrageous facts may still be considered theoretical and not yet fully proven, they are widely accepted by the scientific community and continuously studied and researched.

4. What impact do these outrageous facts have on our understanding of the universe?

These outrageous facts challenge our current understanding of the universe and force us to think outside the box, leading to new discoveries and advancements in the field of physics.

5. How can we as non-scientists comprehend these outrageous facts?

It may be difficult for non-scientists to fully comprehend these outrageous facts, but they can be explained through simplified examples and illustrations, as well as through popular science books and media. It is also important to keep an open mind and continue learning about these concepts.