Most ridiculous official sport you've heard of?

  • Thread starter Thread starter lah214
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sports
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
43 replies · 24K views
lah214
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
So, I have to do a two page essay on a sport for my gym class (I don't know why). It has to be an official sport, but I don't want to do something like soccer or basketball.

Whats the most ridiculous sport you've heard of?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
When I was in China watching TV in my hotel room I saw this strange competition that was a sumo match in principle though the only difference was that each participant had to hold one leg off the ground, with their knee up against their chest. I have no idea what it was called though. It was pretty funny to watch anyway.
 
Football.

*edit* Just to clarify, I don't mean rugby or soccer.
 
Last edited:
lisab said:
Curling.

Sorry, Canada.

What?! :bugeye: Curling is great!

Crud has to be the most ridiculous sport I've played.

The rules to Crud

It may not be appropriate for your gym class if you're still in high school. You usually have to be at least 21 to play crud.

I was always very good at it and my call sign was "Jacques" (I had a bad incident with a jacuzzi). The only bad thing about playing it is the damage to your clothes (the gouges in your skin heel a lot faster than rips in clothing).

Interesting trivia: The Broomstones Curling Club in Wayland, MA plays crud!
 
Last edited:
sean1234 said:
When I was in China watching TV in my hotel room I saw this strange competition that was a sumo match in principle though the only difference was that each participant had to hold one leg off the ground, with their knee up against their chest. I have no idea what it was called though. It was pretty funny to watch anyway.

Sumo wresting also seems ridiculous
 
Last edited by a moderator:
BobG said:
Crud has to be the most ridiculous sport I've played.

:smile::smile::smile:

From Bob's crud link:

This boisterous game is usually only played in a military mess as the management of most public establishments would not normally condone contact sports and the apparent abuse of their equipment.
 
lisab said:
:smile::smile::smile:

From Bob's crud link:

To watch it, you'd think first graders invented it, but that's not the case.

Canadians invented it.

They invent all the cool sports like Crud, Curling, and Hockey.
 
Kayak polo is weird, never played but as a kayaker, I can imagine...
 
Considering that there are now "professional" video gamers, how precisely are you defining "sport"?

I Googled "unusual sports" and found this...
http://www.topendsports.com/events/discontinued/unusual.htm"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
For some reason I've never been a big fan of synchronized swimming.



I would much rather see womens fast pitch softball. But this is the last year for softball in the Olympics.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_boxing"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Waterfall climbing.

You wait for winter. The waterfall freezes and you climb the ice to the top.
 
That's ice climbing not waterfall climbing. They do it in Ouray every year.
 
Phlogistonian said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_boxing"

:bugeye:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've got no idea what it is called, but I once saw a version of basketball made for men who can't jump. The court surrounding the hoops was made of trampolines.
 
Some guys at my college play ball badminton, a mix of badminton and tennis. They use racqets similar to those used in badminton and tennis balls. There is a badminton height net and about 6 people in each team. The court is also very short.

The way they play is most hilarious. Since you have to hit the ball very gently to keep the ball in play, you can witness what might appear to be teams of damsels from the Victorian age trying to play tennis! Needless to say, there are annual tournaments played with great gusto, not to mention charm ;)
 
Phlogistonian said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_boxing"

It would even be funnier if they had to keep on their boxing gloves when playing chess :smile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
matthyaouw said:
I've got no idea what it is called, but I once saw a version of basketball made for men who can't jump. The court surrounding the hoops was made of trampolines.

Ohhh I remember this... What was it called... ahh. Ohh slamball! I think it'd be fun to mess around on one of the courts.