Motion of a Block with Three Forces

In summary, the diagram shows a block of mass 2.0 kg on a frictionless horizontal surface, with three forces of magnitudes 4.0 N, 6.0 N, and 8.0 N applied at angles shown on the diagram. Using Fnet = ma and calculating the components of each force, the resultant force is found to be 16.54i - 1.75j, with a magnitude of 16.63 N and an angle of 5.08 degrees with respect to the positive x axis. This results in an acceleration vector of -1.83 m/s^2 and a displacement of 9.15 m after 5.0 seconds, with a velocity vector of
fubag
The diagram below shows a block of mass m=2.0\; \rm kg on a frictionless horizontal surface, as seen from above. Three forces of magnitudes F_1 = 4.0\;{\rm N}, F_2 = 6.0\;{\rm N}, and F_3 = 8.0\;{\rm N} are applied to the block, initially at rest on the surface, at angles shown on the diagram.

1. Calculate the magnitude of the total resultant force \vec{F}_{\rm r} = \vec{F}_1+ \vec{F}_2 +\vec{F}_3 acting on the mass.

2. What angle does F_r_vec make with the positive x axis?

3. What is the magnitude of the mass's acceleration vector, a_vec?

4. What is the direction of a_vec? In other words, what angle does this vector make with respect to the positive x axis?

5. How far (in meters) will the mass move in 5.0 s?

6. What is the magnitude of the velocity vector of the block at t = 5.0\;{\rm s}?

7. In what direction is the mass moving at time t = 5.0\;{\rm s}? That is, what angle does the velocity vector make with respect to the positive x axis?I just need clarification on how to start this problem...do I simply use Fnet = ma? and to find the resultant I am assuming I need the magnitude of vectors forumla, but how do I use it here?

any help will be greatly appreciated.
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/6486/1206lb2.th.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
fubag said:
I just need clarification on how to start this problem...do I simply use Fnet = ma?
Sure.
and to find the resultant I am assuming I need the magnitude of vectors forumla, but how do I use it here?
Just find the components of each force and add them up.

Hint to start with. Break down the forces into their x and y components. Then find the resultant force from these. Rember you'll need to make use of the sin and cos of your angles.

ok

so this is what I got:

f(->)1: 3.63i + 1.69j
f(->)2: 4.91i - 3.44j
f(->)3: 8i

Now to determine the resultant, I just add all of these up?

I get then f(->)r: 16.54i - 1.75j

so resultant magnitude is = 16.63 N??

Last edited:
Add up the components and you have the components of the resultant. (Double check the signs of your components.)

ok sorry

the 3rd one has -8iSo then it should be 1.83 N?

1. What is the motion of a block with three forces?

The motion of a block with three forces refers to the movement of an object that is being acted upon by three different forces simultaneously. These forces can be in any direction and can either be balanced or unbalanced, resulting in different types of motion.

2. What are the three forces that can act on a block?

The three forces that can act on a block are gravitational force, normal force, and frictional force. Gravitational force is the force of attraction between two objects, while normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it. Frictional force is the force that opposes the motion of an object.

3. How do these three forces affect the motion of the block?

The motion of the block is affected by the magnitude and direction of these three forces. If the forces are balanced, the block will remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity. If the forces are unbalanced, the block will accelerate in the direction of the net force.

4. Can these forces be represented by vectors?

Yes, these forces can be represented by vectors. Vectors are used to show the magnitude and direction of a force. The length of the vector represents the magnitude of the force, while the direction of the vector represents the direction of the force.

5. How can the motion of the block be predicted with these three forces?

The motion of the block can be predicted by using Newton's laws of motion. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.