1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion of a Block with Three Forces

1. Sep 23, 2007 #1
    The diagram below shows a block of mass m=2.0\; \rm kg on a frictionless horizontal surface, as seen from above. Three forces of magnitudes F_1 = 4.0\;{\rm N}, F_2 = 6.0\;{\rm N}, and F_3 = 8.0\;{\rm N} are applied to the block, initially at rest on the surface, at angles shown on the diagram.

1. Calculate the magnitude of the total resultant force \vec{F}_{\rm r} = \vec{F}_1+ \vec{F}_2 +\vec{F}_3 acting on the mass.

2. What angle does F_r_vec make with the positive x axis?

3. What is the magnitude of the mass's acceleration vector, a_vec?

4. What is the direction of a_vec? In other words, what angle does this vector make with respect to the positive x axis?

5. How far (in meters) will the mass move in 5.0 s?

6. What is the magnitude of the velocity vector of the block at t = 5.0\;{\rm s}?

7. In what direction is the mass moving at time t = 5.0\;{\rm s}? That is, what angle does the velocity vector make with respect to the positive x axis?

I just need clarification on how to start this problem...do I simply use Fnet = ma? and to find the resultant im assuming I need the magnitude of vectors forumla, but how do I use it here?

any help will be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Sure.
    Just find the components of each force and add them up.

4. Sep 23, 2007 #3

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hint to start with. Break down the forces into their x and y components. Then find the resultant force from these. Rember you'll need to make use of the sin and cos of your angles.

5. Sep 23, 2007 #4
    ok

so this is what I got:

f(->)1: 3.63i + 1.69j
    f(->)2: 4.91i - 3.44j
    f(->)3: 8i

Now to determine the resultant, I just add all of these up?

I get then f(->)r: 16.54i - 1.75j

so resultant magnitude is = 16.63 N??

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  6. Sep 23, 2007 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Add up the components and you have the components of the resultant. (Double check the signs of your components.)

7. Sep 23, 2007 #6
    ok sorry

the 3rd one has -8i

So then it should be 1.83 N?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?