Motion of a point mass (circular motion)

In summary: It is a differential equation for Φ as function of time. You know ##\dot r## hence also r(t).In summary, the system's equations of motion and equation of constraint forces in polar coordinates can be formulated by separating the forces into their respective directions and solving for the variables. The first equation, which is a differential equation for Φ as a function of time, can be solved by using the known value of ##\dot r## to determine r(t) and then plugging it into the first equation.
Carson Birth

Homework Statement

A point mass, sliding over an even, horizontal plane is bounded on an inextensible, massless thread. During the motion, the thread is pulled by a force F with constant velocity ##v_{o} ## through a hole O. In the beginning (##t_{o} ## = 0) r(##t_{o} ##)=b holds (the length of the thread on the plane is b at the beginning then will get shorter due to the force F as it is pulled through). The initial velocity of the point mass perpendicular to the thread is ##v_{1} ## in ##\phi ## direction, and the angle ##\phi ##(##t_{o} ##) = ##\phi_{o} ## = 0Formulate the system's equation of motion and the equation of constraint forces in polar coordinates. Apply Newton's Law. Also the polar coordinate system is attached to the masspoint with r pointing away from the hole and ##\phi ## pointing toward the trajectory.

Homework Equations

##\overrightarrow{a} ## = (##\ddot{r} ## - r##\dot{\phi}^2 ##) in r direction + (r##\ddot{\phi} ##+2##\dot{r} ####\dot{\phi} ##) in ##\phi ## direction

The Attempt at a Solution

I separated the forces into there respected directions:
##\ddot{\phi} ## direction: mr##\ddot{\phi} ## + m2##\dot{r}####\dot{\phi} ## = 0
r direction: F + mr##\dot{\phi}^2 ## = 0

Now I am pretty sure there isn't any constraint forces, since there is no N force effecting the mass point.

So now I need to create an equation of motion, and from my understanding I need to create one equation. Is it as simple as just solving for ##\dot{\phi} ## and plugging it into the other equation? I had a similar equation where I solved the ##\phi ## direction equation as a differential but it didnt have the 2##\dot{r}####\dot{\phi} ## term with it, it was a gravity force making it very simple to solve. I know this isn't for people to solve my homework so I am just looking for advice on how to get it all set up for the further sub-questions. Any advice would be appreciated :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Carson Birth said:

Homework Statement

A point mass, sliding over an even, horizontal plane is bounded on an inextensible, massless thread. During the motion, the thread is pulled by a force F with constant velocity ##v_{o} ## through a hole O. In the beginning (##t_{o} ## = 0) r(##t_{o} ##)=b holds (the length of the thread on the plane is b at the beginning then will get shorter due to the force F as it is pulled through). The initial velocity of the point mass perpendicular to the thread is ##v_{1} ## in ##\phi ## direction, and the angle ##\phi ##(##t_{o} ##) = ##\phi_{o} ## = 0Formulate the system's equation of motion and the equation of constraint forces in polar coordinates. Apply Newton's Law. Also the polar coordinate system is attached to the masspoint with r pointing away from the hole and ##\phi ## pointing toward the trajectory.

Homework Equations

##\overrightarrow{a} ## = (##\ddot{r} ## - r##\dot{\phi}^2 ##) in r direction + (r##\ddot{\phi} ##+2##\dot{r} ####\dot{\phi} ##) in ##\phi ## direction

The Attempt at a Solution

I separated the forces into there respected directions:
##\ddot{\phi} ## direction: mr##\ddot{\phi} ## + m2##\dot{r}####\dot{\phi} ## = 0
r direction: F + mr##\dot{\phi}^2 ## = 0
r is changing. Why did you ignored ##\ddot r##?

ehild said:
r is changing. Why did you ignored ##\ddot r##?
My thought was since the thread is being pulled by a force with constant velocity, that it wouldn't be accelerating.

Carson Birth said:
My thought was since the thread is being pulled by a force with constant velocity, that it wouldn't be accelerating.
You are right, I misread it as "constant force". Sorry.
So you do not know F, but you know that ##\dot r ## is constant. Go ahead. Solve the first equation.

Last edited:
ehild said:
You are right, I misread it as "constant force". Sorry.
So you do not know F, but you know that ##\dot r ## is constant. Go ahead. Solve the first equation.
When you say solve the first equation, what do you mean? Would I solve the first equation as a differential equation or you mean solve for a variable then put it into the first equation? :D

Carson Birth said:
When you say solve the first equation, what do you mean? Would I solve the first equation as a differential equation or you mean solve for a variable then put it into the first equation? :D

It is a differential equation for Φ as function of time. You know ##\dot r## hence also r(t).

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is a type of motion in which an object follows a curved path around a fixed point, known as the center of rotation. This type of motion is commonly observed in objects moving in a circular track or in objects rotating around a fixed axis.

2. What causes circular motion?

Circular motion is caused by a force, known as the centripetal force, that pulls or pushes an object towards the center of rotation. This force is necessary to keep the object moving in a circular path rather than moving in a straight line.

3. How is circular motion different from linear motion?

Circular motion involves a continuous change in direction, while linear motion involves a continuous change in position. In circular motion, the object moves around a fixed point, while in linear motion, the object moves in a straight line.

4. What is the relationship between speed and radius in circular motion?

The speed of an object in circular motion is directly proportional to the radius of the circular path. This means that as the radius increases, the speed of the object also increases, and vice versa.

5. How is centripetal force related to circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that causes an object to maintain circular motion. It is always directed towards the center of rotation and is necessary to keep the object moving in a circular path. Without centripetal force, the object would move in a straight line tangent to the circular path.