1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion of a point mass (circular motion)

1. Dec 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A point mass, sliding over an even, horizontal plane is bounded on an inextensible, massless thread. During the motion, the thread is pulled by a force F with constant velocity ##v_{o} ## through a hole O. In the beginning (##t_{o} ## = 0) r(##t_{o} ##)=b holds (the length of the thread on the plane is b at the beginning then will get shorter due to the force F as it is pulled through). The initial velocity of the point mass perpendicular to the thread is ##v_{1} ## in ##\phi ## direction, and the angle ##\phi ##(##t_{o} ##) = ##\phi_{o} ## = 0

Formulate the system's equation of motion and the equation of constraint forces in polar coordinates. Apply Newton's Law. Also the polar coordinate system is attached to the masspoint with r pointing away from the hole and ##\phi ## pointing toward the trajectory.

2. Relevant equations
    ##\overrightarrow{a} ## = (##\ddot{r} ## - r##\dot{\phi}^2 ##) in r direction + (r##\ddot{\phi} ##+2##\dot{r} ####\dot{\phi} ##) in ##\phi ## direction

3. The attempt at a solution
    I separated the forces into there respected directions:
    ##\ddot{\phi} ## direction: mr##\ddot{\phi} ## + m2##\dot{r}####\dot{\phi} ## = 0
    r direction: F + mr##\dot{\phi}^2 ## = 0

Now im pretty sure there isnt any constraint forces, since there is no N force effecting the mass point.

So now I need to create an equation of motion, and from my understanding I need to create one equation. Is it as simple as just solving for ##\dot{\phi} ## and plugging it into the other equation? I had a similar equation where I solved the ##\phi ## direction equation as a differential but it didnt have the 2##\dot{r}####\dot{\phi} ## term with it, it was a gravity force making it very simple to solve. I know this isnt for people to solve my homework so im just looking for advice on how to get it all set up for the further sub-questions. Any advice would be appreciated :D

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2015 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

r is changing. Why did you ignored ##\ddot r##?

4. Dec 7, 2015 #3
    My thought was since the thread is being pulled by a force with constant velocity, that it wouldnt be accelerating.

5. Dec 7, 2015 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are right, I misread it as "constant force". Sorry.
    So you do not know F, but you know that ##\dot r ## is constant. Go ahead. Solve the first equation.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  6. Dec 7, 2015 #5
    When you say solve the first equation, what do you mean? Would I solve the first equation as a differential equation or you mean solve for a variable then put it into the first equation? :D

7. Dec 7, 2015 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is a differential equation for Φ as function of time. You know ##\dot r## hence also r(t).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted