Motional EMF -- problem 7.7 in Griffith

In summary, the student is seeking help with solving problems (c) and (d) in regards to a bar experiencing magnetic force. They determine that the speed of the bar will remain constant due to the nature of magnetic force. However, they are struggling to understand the concept of energy dissipation in regards to resistor and question (d) does not make sense to them. They are asked to compute the energy dissipated in the resistor using the formula ∫i2R dt.
Pushoam

Homework Statement

7.7.png

I need help in solving (c) and (d).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the force acting on the bar is Magnetic force and magnetic force does no work, the speed of the bar will remain same i.e. v0.
Question (d) is not making sense to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pushoam said:
Since the force acting on the bar is Magnetic force and magnetic force does no work, the speed of the bar will remain same i.e. v0.
Energy is being dissipated in the resistor. Where is this energy coming from?

Likes Pushoam
Pushoam said:
Question (d) is not making sense to me.
Compute the energy dissipated in the resistor as ∫i2R dt.

What is Motional EMF?

Motional EMF (electromotive force) is the voltage induced in a conductor that is moving through a magnetic field. It is also known as Faraday's law of induction.

How is Motional EMF calculated?

Motional EMF is calculated using the equation E = -vBL, where E is the induced EMF, v is the velocity of the conductor, B is the magnetic field strength, and L is the length of the conductor.

What is the relationship between Motional EMF and electric current?

Motional EMF and electric current are related through Ohm's law, which states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the applied voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor.

What are some real-world applications of Motional EMF?

Motional EMF is used in many everyday devices such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in technologies such as magnetic levitation trains and induction cooktops.

How does Motional EMF relate to conservation of energy?

Motional EMF is a result of the conservation of energy, specifically the conversion of mechanical energy into electrical energy. It follows the principle of energy conservation, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed.