motorcycle accelerating up a 30-degree ramp with air resistance

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 7K views
princess7115
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
A 292 kg motor cycle is accelerating up along a ramp that is inclined 30.0 degrees above the horizontal. The propulsion force pushing the motorcycle up the ramp is 3150 N, and air resistance produces a force of 250 N that opposes the motion. Find the magnitude of the motorcycle's acceleration.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Now that you've stated the problem, show your solution. (Find the net force up the ramp; then apply Newton's 2nd law.)
 
I know this is stupid but can you tell me what it means to find the net force going up the ramp.
 
Identify all the forces that act on the motorcycle. The sum of those forces is the net force. To find the net force going up the ramp, find the component of each force parallel to the ramp and add them up.
 
Well I'm yet again doing something wrong so before I go any furthur, are the forces acting on the bike the 3150 N and W=2861.1. Shouldn't there be a force opposing weight which is the force from the road? But I don't know how to figure that.
 
Oh...and how do I know when friction plays a part in the problem.
 
Just stick to the forces given. FYI: It's friction that propels the motorcycle forward. (The engine turns the wheels, which push against the surface of the ramp.)

Describe all the forces that act on the motorcycle.