Mountain climber Equilibrium Question

• Thread starter simondsaid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equilibrium
In summary, a mountain climber weighing 744 N is rappelling down a vertical wall with a rope attached to a buckle strapped 15 cm to the right of his center of gravity at an angle of 19° with the wall. The tension in the rope is 680 N and the contact force exerted by the wall on the climber's feet is 240 N at an angle of 26° above the horizontal. This was determined using the equations T=\frac{W*.91m}{1.06m*cos19}, W=Tcos\theta+F_{v}, T*sin\theta=F_{h}, and the magnitude F_{w}=\sqrt{F^{2}_{v}+F^{2}_{h}}
simondsaid

Homework Statement

Picture: http://www.webassign.net/grr/p8-34.gif

A mountain climber is rappelling down a vertical wall. The rope attaches to a buckle strapped to the climber's waist 15 cm to the right of his center of gravity and makes an angle of [tex]\theta[/tex]= 19° with the wall. The climber weighs 744 N.

(a) Find the tension in the rope=680N
(b) Find the magnitude and direction of the contact force exerted by the wall on the climber's feet.

Magnitude=240N
Direction=[tex]\theta[/tex]=? above the horizontal.

Homework Equations

T=[tex]\frac{W*.91m}{1.06m*cos19}[/tex]

W=Tcos[tex]\theta[/tex]+F[tex]_{v}[/tex]

T*sin[tex]\theta[/tex]=F[tex]_{h}[/tex]

Magnitude F[tex]_{w}[/tex]=[tex]\sqrt{F^{2}_{v}+F^{2}_{h}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The equations basically explain my attempt at the problem. I just can't seem to be able to find the direction of the contact force exerted by the wall.

I've tried:
arctan[tex]\frac{Fv}{Fh}[/tex]=25°

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

I get roughly what you are getting. What seems to be telling you it is wrong? (I get 244 N at 25.5 degrees above the horizontal.)

The wall is pushing up - countering the weight not made up in the tension, and out against the compression of the feet.

Ah I got it. It was a significant digits thing.

the acceptable answer was 26.

Thanks for your help!

1. What is the Mountain Climber Equilibrium Question?

The Mountain Climber Equilibrium Question is a thought experiment that asks whether a hypothetical mountain climber, who is hanging onto a rope that is suspended over a cliff, is in a state of equilibrium. It is used to illustrate the concept of equilibrium in physics and how forces act on objects.

2. How is equilibrium defined in the Mountain Climber Equilibrium Question?

In this context, equilibrium is defined as a state in which the forces acting on the mountain climber are balanced, resulting in a net force of zero. This means that the climber is not moving in any direction and is not falling off the rope.

3. What forces are acting on the mountain climber in the Mountain Climber Equilibrium Question?

The main forces acting on the mountain climber are gravity, which is pulling the climber downwards towards the ground, and tension, which is pulling the climber upwards towards the rope. There may also be other smaller forces, such as air resistance, acting on the climber.

4. How does the angle of the rope affect the equilibrium in the Mountain Climber Equilibrium Question?

The angle of the rope plays a crucial role in determining whether the mountain climber is in equilibrium. If the angle is too steep, the tension force will not be strong enough to counteract the downward force of gravity, causing the climber to fall. If the angle is too shallow, the tension force will be greater than the downward force, causing the climber to move upwards.

5. What does the Mountain Climber Equilibrium Question teach us about real-life situations?

The Mountain Climber Equilibrium Question teaches us about the importance of understanding forces and equilibrium in real-life situations, such as in engineering, architecture, and sports. It also shows us how small changes in forces or angles can greatly affect the outcome of a situation, highlighting the need for careful analysis and calculations in various fields of science and technology.