Multiple quantum entanglements

In summary, entanglement can occur between more than two particles, but there may be practical limitations due to decoherence. However, it is not possible to have entanglement between A/B and A/C at the same time. The concept of GHZ states allows for entanglement between three particles, but it may be less efficient. Additionally, interactions between entangled particles may result in an entanglement swap, creating entanglement between different particles.
serp777
Lets say you have a particle A, which then physically interacts with particle C and B to become entangled. Since A is entangled with B, and C is entangled with A, then it would follow that c is entangled to B. I guess my main question is it possible to have multiple systems entangled with each other simultaneously, or does it have to be binary? And my next question is if its possible, then is C technically entangled to B, even though they are entangled through A?

Physics news on Phys.org
serp777 said:
Lets say you have a particle A, which then physically interacts with particle C and B to become entangled. Since A is entangled with B, and C is entangled with A, then it would follow that c is entangled to B. I guess my main question is it possible to have multiple systems entangled with each other simultaneously, or does it have to be binary? And my next question is if its possible, then is C technically entangled to B, even though they are entangled through A?

You can have entanglement of more than 2 particles, there is no real absolute upper limit other that practical ones due to decoherence. So A, B and C form an entangled system and you would not say that A and B are entangled and A and C are entangled. On the other hand, if you observe the spin of A, then you throw B and C into a different entangled state (2 particles instead of 3).

serp777 said:
You can't have entanglement between A/B and A/C at the same time. You can have so called GHZ state but it gives less "entanglement per photon" figuratively speaking. Basically you detect one of the three photons and then from that result you can find out what type of correlation you should expect for other two photons.

As a loose analogy we could use this - single equation with two unknowns (entanglement) and single equation with three unknowns (GHZ state).

serp777 said:

I don't think that works. Photons B and C would be in a definite state (unless they're entangled with other photons). Interaction between B and A wouldn't cause entanglement in this case, so far as what I've been told by Markus Arndt.

Perhaps if B and C were entangled, and A was entangled with another photon D the best you can get from interaction between B (or C) and A is an entanglement swap. This would create entanglement between D and B (or C), and A and C (or B).

What is multiple quantum entanglement?

Multiple quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum physics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other particles, regardless of distance. This means that the particles are intrinsically linked and share information instantaneously, even if they are light years apart.

How is multiple quantum entanglement different from single quantum entanglement?

Single quantum entanglement involves two particles that are entangled, while multiple quantum entanglement involves three or more particles that are entangled. In multiple quantum entanglement, each particle is connected to every other particle, creating a more complex and interconnected system.

What are the potential applications of multiple quantum entanglement?

Multiple quantum entanglement has the potential to revolutionize fields such as quantum computing, cryptography, and communication. It could also lead to advancements in teleportation and super-sensitive sensors.

How is multiple quantum entanglement created and observed?

Multiple quantum entanglement is created by manipulating the quantum states of particles through various techniques, such as using lasers or magnetic fields. It is observed through the measurement of correlated properties of the entangled particles, such as spin or position.

What challenges are involved in studying multiple quantum entanglement?

One of the main challenges in studying multiple quantum entanglement is maintaining the entanglement over long distances or periods of time. Additionally, the delicate nature of quantum systems makes it difficult to observe and control multiple entangled particles without disrupting their entanglement.