Multiplying any integer with any prime

In summary, the fundamental theorem of arithmetic states that every integer greater than 1 is either a prime number or can be expressed as a unique product of prime numbers. Therefore, "c" cannot be made up of any other prime factors than those that make up "a" (except for "b").
ull
PS. I don't speak or write english very well. I´m doing my best. Is it still ok to post questions?

a = any integer
b = any prime number

a * b = c

Is there a proof that "c" isn't made up by any other prime factors than the prime factors that make up "a" (except for "b")?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
ull said:
PS. I don't speak or write english very well. I´m doing my best. Is it still ok to post questions?

a = any integer
b = any prime number

a * b = c

Is there a proof that "c" isn't made up by any other prime factors than the prime factors that make up "a" (except for "b")?
It's a result of the fundamental theorem of arithmetic. :wink:

Likes 1 person
Sinse a prime number can only be divided by 1 and itself, no two numbers can ever equal a prime number. I don't know what the proof is called though. I think the OP wants to know the name of the actual law/proof.

MathJakob said:
Sinse a prime number can only be divided by 1 and itself, no two numbers can ever equal a prime number. I don't know what the proof is called though. I think the OP wants to know the name of the actual law/proof.

As Mandelbroth said, the proof is the fundamental theorem of arithmetic, from which the OP's desired result follows immediately.

Yes, there is a proof for this statement. It is known as the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic, which states that every integer greater than 1 can be uniquely expressed as a product of prime numbers. This means that when we multiply any integer with any prime number, the resulting product can only be made up of the prime factors that make up the original integer, along with the prime number being multiplied. This is because all other possible combinations of prime factors would result in a different integer, violating the uniqueness of the prime factorization. Therefore, it is safe to say that the product "c" is not made up of any other prime factors than the ones that make up "a" (except for "b").

1. What is a prime number?

A prime number is a positive integer that can only be divided evenly by 1 and itself. In other words, it has exactly two factors.

2. What is the difference between a prime number and a composite number?

A composite number has more than two factors, while a prime number only has two factors.

3. Can any integer be multiplied with a prime number?

Yes, any integer can be multiplied with a prime number. The result will be a composite number.

4. What is the result of multiplying any integer with 2?

The result will always be an even number, as 2 is the only even prime number.

5. Is there a way to predict the outcome of multiplying any integer with a prime number?

No, the outcome will vary depending on the integer and prime number being multiplied. However, the result will always be a composite number.