Music I Can't Tolerate: Pet Peeves Revealed

• Music
  • Thread starter Hornbein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary, Dan hates anything with a dominant quarter note bass drum. It makes him feel like a galley slave. He also doesn't enjoy ska music, which is similar to reggae but without the inclusion of "goodnature." He thinks the Barney song or Baby Shark are good, but does not enjoy modern praise songs. Punk did the same in 1975, rock music played and sung very badly and image came first. Love the soap love the single right? No! If the music is awful then it is still crap right?
Hornbein
I can't tolerate anything with a dominant quarter note bass drum. It makes me feel like a galley slave.

Dammit, it's supposed to start at 2:08. It used to work....

Any pet peeves out there?

• Haha
Likes DennisN
Science news on Phys.org
Rap. Any of it.

-Dan

• Love
Likes Klystron, Sagittarius A-Star, pinball1970 and 6 others
Praise songs

Likes topsquark
topsquark said:
Rap. Any of it.

-Dan
Gangster's paradise?

Likes topsquark
malawi_glenn said:
Praise songs
Amen to that....:bow:

• Haha
  • Care
Likes pinball1970, PeroK and malawi_glenn
Hornbein said:
It makes me feel like a galley slave.
😄 Row, slave, row!

I don't enjoy ska music. It makes me nervous at best and angry at worst. It is psychological torture to me 😄.

Last edited:
My first impetus was to post something about 12-tone-music, Schönberg, or free jazz, or rap, or Prokovjev.

But even those not-so-easy-listening pieces and composers are no instances of "Music I can't stand." They have their mood and their time. Even if they weren't my first choice, there are moments when it is ok. Heck, I switch the channel if I recognize Mozart, but I would never call it "music I can't stand". I love his g-minor though.

Last edited:
topsquark said:
Rap. Any of it.
I heard a group rap The Raven. Not bad.

I still think they should have called themselves The Po' Boys.

fresh_42 said:
Gangster's paradise?
It's...okay. ish.

-Dan

Likes pinball1970 and fresh_42
Anything with autotune.

(Except Cher's 'Believe' which is what God intended autotune for.)

Likes hmmm27, DennisN, pinball1970 and 2 others
jedishrfu said:
How about the Barney song or Baby Shark?
This is the version I am familiar with, so it doesn‘t really bother me.

• Haha
Likes dlgoff and jedishrfu
@Frabjous do you have little kids or know someone who does? Its the repetition that kids love that drives you crazy after a hearing it everyday.

We once drove our high school running coach nuts on a bus ride to a meet by singing 99 bottles of beer on the wall.

Likes Frabjous
jedishrfu said:
@Frabjous do you have little kids or know someone who does? Its the repetition that kids love that drives you crazy after a hearing it everyday.

We once drove our high school running coach nuts on a bus ride to a meet by singing 99 bottles of beer on the wall.
We once took a 1000 mile drive with an older cousin of mine. He led us in a rendition of 1000 bottle of beer. My father was so scarred that he still spoke negatively of it 40 years later.

• Haha
Likes BillTre and jedishrfu
DennisN said:
😄 Row, slave, row!

I don't enjoy ska music. It makes me nervous at best and angry at worst. It is psychological torture to me 😄.
Ska is like reggae without the inclusion and "goodnatureness". As if a bunch of hippie musicians ran out of weed.

• Haha
Likes DennisN
malawi_glenn said:
Praise songs
That rules out a lot of very beautiful classical music, Handel, Bach, Mozart?

Or do you just mean modern happy clappy stuff?
Nuns with guitars and fixed smiles?

Likes Freyja and fresh_42
fresh_42 said:
Gangster's paradise?
Stevie (Wonder) was the original for that.

• Informative
Likes sbrothy and fresh_42
pinball1970 said:

Modern praise songs

Likes pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
Jump for joy sisters, jump for joy.*

*Obscure movie reference.....

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes pinball1970
DennisN said:
😄 Row, slave, row!

I loved Ska when it came out in the UK 1979 with the Specials!
It was just so different, the feel, the sound.
Terry Halls voice was very unusual too.
We only had two years really.
Perhaps I will send you a few links, convert you!

Likes difalcojr and DennisN
Not a fan of RAP but Eminem did some ok stuff. Very clever lyrics. "lose yourself" has that guitar part sounds cool, Its only Dm to Bb but it sounds like an augmented 5th to me. Gold dust Woman has the same two chords.

Anyway UK chart music stopped for me in 1982.
This is when people stopped talking about great singing or beautiful chord progressions and focused on clothes and make up instead,
Punk did the same in 1975, rock music played and sang very badly and image came first.

Likes Adrian59
Some bright spark had the idea of getting an already famous soap star, start giving them a song, record it and then knock it out to a very stupid public who will buy it because they like the soap.

Love the soap love the single right?

No! If the music is awful then it is still crap right? It turned out I was in a minority on that and after Kylie came Jason, then both together, then the brother got in on the action (Stefan Denis).

Eastenders cast may have started this awful trend, Anita Dobson and Nick Berry, some guy from Coronation street as well.

Hell even Russel Grant the corpulent astrologist released a couple.

It was a terrible time for creative music

DennisN said:
I don't enjoy ska music. It makes me nervous at best and angry at worst.

pinball1970 said:
I loved Ska when it came out in the UK 1979 with the Specials!
It was just so different, the feel, the sound.
Terry Halls voice was very unusual too.
We only had two years really.
Perhaps I will send you a few links, convert you!

Hmm, maybe I was generalising regarding ska, I'm not so familiar with the genre.
I was thinking of very fast tempo ska (let's say ca 130 bpm and upwards), which has a tendency of making me nervous. :smile:

I have no problems with songs like this one, which I think is excellent:
(the atmosphere in the song is very cool, I think)

The Specials - Ghost Town

(genre reggae rock/two-tone according to Wikipedia, and two-tone seems to have ska as one of the stylistic origins)

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes pinball1970
pinball1970 said:

Not Sister Sourire, the Singing Nun though.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
malawi_glenn said:
Praise songs
airplane.jpg

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
jedishrfu said:
Not Sister Sourire, the Singing Nun though.
I just watched a french nun on the Ed Sullivan show. Is that her? Not the worst thing I have heard.

Probably best stop banging them now before we get a ban!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes jedishrfu
Dont like
Tejano
Middle Eastern or Indian pop music (like the traditional music)
Most any traditional music from East Asia

The French language is so strange to an English person. It is very lyrical, artistic and beautiful.
One can listen to Dominique and get something from it without understanding what is going on.

Pop, rap/hiphop and regaetton. The riannas, ladycacas, byonces, taylorshits, jlos, disney "stars", badbunnies, daddyyankees. Everything the genre stands for. It literally revolts me. Glorification of mediocrity. Dictatorship of the lowest common denominator. Where's the :puke: emote??? :H:H:H

Very closely followed by growling metal (or whatever is that they call it nowadays, don't know, don't care honestly). This coming from somebody who loves good metal. Listening to masterpieces like The Rime of the Ancient Mariner or Freewheel Burning, and then having to bear the forementioned aural torture triggers my killing switch. It doesn't help a bit the fact that I used to have an infamous coworker, dumber than a bag of bricks I must add, who got into some half-arsed "lead" position of sorts by means of rear-kissing, and would play this type of aberration over and over for 12 hours in order to establish dominance :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Which brings us to another genre I can't stand: trailer park stuff. It can be anything ranging from Dolly Parton to Guns and Roses. Y'all get the idea.

Then all the emo/indie stuff. You know, the "different" ones, yet so ordinary :sigh:

Likes pinball1970
Freyja said:
Very closely followed by growling metal (or whatever is that they call it nowadays, don't know, don't care honestly).

It's called Death Metal. I was going to mention that, but nah. Too easy a target.

Likes Freyja
I love good death metal and hip hop

topsquark said:
Rap. Any of it.

-Dan
I liked Dan's post but might change rap to hip-hop. I enjoyed early rap recordings with decent prose/poetry performed over contemporary jazz. Low talent 'rhyme busting' tends to aggravate.

Freyja said:
Very closely followed by growling metal
Very good music for weight lifting though