Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My favorite type of paper to work problems on

1. Apr 17, 2014 #1
    I find that I will often go out of my way to get paper that I like so that doing problems is more enjoyable. As an example, I will avoid lined white looseleaf paper and go for yellow legal pad paper or just plain computer paper instead.

Also, I have one favorite mechanical pencil that I do all of my math/physics with. Does anyone else do this?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2014 #2
    http://www.upload.ee/image/4007222/notes.jpg [Broken]
    + ANYthing with ink in it. Black or blue, makes no difference, as long as it works.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Apr 17, 2014 #3
    Printer paper plain and simple. 80gr/m^2 is the one I use. I have used lighter paper used for drafts and stuff but I could see my writings on the other side too much. This interfered with the readability.
    Also I use just about every pen I can find although I like some better than others.

5. Apr 17, 2014 #4
    yellow legal pad, nothing better for me

6. Apr 17, 2014 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I use the backs of scrap paper that has already been printed on for something else: lab handouts, Powerpoint presentations, administrative reports, etc. I've generated a fair amount of this stuff myself, and I can always collect a new batch in the recycling bin next to the printer in one of the computer labs.

7. Apr 17, 2014 #6
    My favourite paper to write on is some old squared paper from Ericsson - I'm running out though, and don't have the means to acquire more.

I'm quite particular about my pen though - Pentel black signature pen is my favourite. I now find biros are slippy on the page...

8. Apr 17, 2014 #7

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm guessing you've probably used the back of this stuff. :wink:

163px-Bound_computer_printout.agr.jpg

9. Apr 17, 2014 #8
    BOAS

The point about slippyness is how I feel exactly- I need a good, strong, reliable point. My Zebra M-701 is the only pencil I've managed to not lose or misplace because it gives me that control.

10. Apr 17, 2014 #9

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Yep, I've used that kind of stuff. During my first ten years or so here, we had an old-style Prime "minicomputer" (size of a washing machine) with a line printer that used the wider version of the paper shown above, with green horizontal bars. I used discarded printouts for calculations, lecture notes, etc., after trimming them down to 8.5 x 11" with a big tabletop paper cutter.

11. Apr 17, 2014 #10

reenmachine

Gold Member

I do prefer print sheets (so completely white) , but what I go out of my way to work with is a good pen.Nothing like a bad pen to make writing less enjoyable

Sheets with lines are useless to me as I never follow the lines when I'm writing , I'm a really messy worker so my calculations or words are all over the place in no particular order.I will start to write a calculation randomly in the lower right corner only to realize I don't have enough space so I continue it elsewhere on the sheet and stuff like that.

Strangely , I'm very comfortable in this kind of chaos.It's a similar thing in my appartment , everything is all over the place and I feel good in this environnement.Basically it's when I have to write my final copy that the OCD kicks in , as soon as there's a letter in ink I don't like the shape of I will be incapable of tolerating it and will have to write the entire paper again , so I guess that's why I prefer rough copies where I can simply scribble over the bad-looking letters/numbers.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  12. Apr 18, 2014 #11

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I got an entire case of the green-lined computer paper a few years ago, it can't be beat. I also have looked and looked for a notebook that I am happy with, I found one, the Blueline A90 Physics notebook, can't get it in the US.

I have also been rummaging thru the recycle bin at work for paper that has been used, matter a fact, I pretty much did the entire semesters worth of chemistry homework on the back of paper I generated at work.

13. Apr 18, 2014 #12

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like lightly-lined green computational pads - this brand, only. Every fifth line is juuuuust a bit heavier than the others, so I never have to count when sketching graphs. The surface not too smooth - it takes graphite nicely. It erases very well.

14. Apr 18, 2014 #13
    Well Dr Transport it looks like I have some good news for you: http://www.officedepot.ca/subpages/product.asp?prod=27416&dept=1365 [Broken]

15. Apr 18, 2014 #14
    I often use printer paper. I guess the lines on lined paper can distract from the content, and also be restricting. Unruled paper gives some amount of freedom.

I have been using cheap ball point pens, which has the advantage that I don't need to be too concerned about losing or misplacing them. However, I am considering purchasing a fountain pen. Does anyone have any recommendations?

16. Apr 19, 2014 #15

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Tried it, that is the Canadian site, the US stores could not find it in their inventory. Matter a fact, the kid who looked it up for me said "what is so special about this notebook, why can't you just buy something else...", I called for the manager, complained, then left, have not been back into the store since.

17. Apr 19, 2014 #16

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Lamy Safari, just bought on on Amazon last week, best reasonably priced pen out there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook