My Very Exciting Magic Carpet Just Sailed Under Nine Palace Elephants

  • Thread starter Thread starter D H
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Magic
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 5K views
D H
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Messages
15,524
Reaction score
771
That's http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/space/02/27/planets.mnemonic.ap/index.html" of "My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas". The new rhyme, which lists the planets and then minor planets in order in terms of distance from the Sun, was chosen as the winner of the winner of the National Geographic planetary mnemonic contest.

So, the question is, will this new rhyme be valid after "http://gpd.jhuapl.edu/" " commencing on August 14? A lot of people really, really like their educated mother. Might this new rhyme be just another a white elephant?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, crud, now I KNOW I'm old...there are two more planets than when I had to learn them as a kid! :cry: (I thought Pluto got a demotion though? Did they spring him from the dog pound and let him join the planets again?)
 
Eris? Wow, that's a new one to me! And Ceres is a planet now...well I'll be darned. It's smaller than our moon and its orbit isn't in the plane with the other planets...whose idea was it to promote it to planet status?
 
No, they're "minor planets," as is Pluto.

- Warren
 
Moonbear said:
Oh, crud, now I KNOW I'm old...there are two more planets than when I had to learn them as a kid! :cry:
The new rhyme lists the planets and the *known* minor planets. It will be in need of a constant upgrade as we discover ever more miscellaneous stuff beyond Pluto that fits the new definition of minor planets.
(I thought Pluto got a demotion though? Did they spring him from the dog pound and let him join the planets again?)
Pluto is still in the doghouse. Some of the participants in the "Great Planet Debate" at JHU/APL late this summer definitely want to spring Pluto from the doghouse. We'll see. I kind like the new definition. We will find no new "planets" in our solar system with this definition. There are only eight planets, period. There is something to be said for finality. We will find a lot of minor junk, no finality here. Which is fine; it's minor junk.
 
I like the sci fi term planetoid for minor planets.

The one I learned recently for the nine classic planets is " My very easy method just say your nine planets".

The your is as in modern text speak 'ur'.
 
I've never heard any of these, I just memorized the planets. :frown:

In music, though, I still remember "every good boy does fine"
 
Last edited: