Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mystery: Failed Name: a much simpler one was chosen

1. Mar 17, 2010 #1

rhody

Gold Member

Here is a name I found that was proposed but never used to name something.

It is quite long, 83 characters I believe, and is eight words appended to one another.

Your job is to tell me what it was proposed to name (Hint: associated with physics, a single word).

However, there is a catch, I have changed 3 to 5 letters in the sequence.

I guarantee if you substitute the proper letters, a google search will reward you with the correct answer. Here is the sequence...

ausserordentlidhhochgeschwindigkeitelaktronenentwickelndenschwerarbeitsbeigollibron

Ignore the space " " after the "i" in "wickel", above the PF BB parser has issues with it, see other examples below...

Good luck...

More examples of PF BB parsing errors... Each line is one continuous sequence of letters/numbers

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyza
    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz01234567890abc

Rhody...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2010 #2

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

betatron

(I only had to guess "gollitron" as the rest was recognizable German words)

Edit: I see that "beigollitron" was supposedly German for "by golly - tron". Pull the other one.

Edit 2: I could have used spoiler tags or similar to let other people look for it too, but it seemed quite trivial, as even without ever having learned German I could pick out all the rest immediately.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  4. Mar 18, 2010 #3

rhody

Gold Member

Johnathan: Yep, betatron is correct...

This wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betatron" [Broken]

Scan down a bit...

Shows the correct 83 character sequence of letters... remembering to drop the space after the "i" in "wickel" below when you paste into google.

Ausserordentlichhochgeschwindigkeitelektronenentwickelndenschwerarbeitsbeigollitron

Rhody...

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook