Strange glue-like residue hardened in my roasting tin

  • Thread starter Thread starter wolram
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mystery
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 6K views
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Messages
4,411
Reaction score
552
I went to use one of my roasting tins and found a layer of glue like substance in it, the last time i used it was for roasting potatoes and i used vegetable oil, now i may have forgotten to wash it but surely veg oil does not set like glue, i had a devil of a time cleaning this stuff out it clung to everything, boiling water would not budge it, so what the heck was this stuff?
I keep the tins in the bottom oven which i never use.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, oil baked on can become a glue like substance.
 
Evo said:
Yes, oil baked on can become a glue like substance.

Well i never did know that, i will remember to clean my pans in future.
 
Maybe someone snuck into your place and used it with superglue to find fingerprints.
 
wolram said:
Well i never did know that, i will remember to clean my pans in future.
It can happen even if you clean your pans, it is very hard to get rid of.
 
Actually it's oxidation, This hardening effect is the same reason why oil is traditionally being used for painting
 
glondor said:
Think of your arteries!

I did, but there are so many things that can kill me i just gave up. just live and enjoy, a few years dread free are worth an eternity.
 
Evo said:
It can happen even if you clean your pans, it is very hard to get rid of.

Yeah, it's the cooked oil that does that (and a quick primer on why one should change their oil in their car before it turns to sludge).

If I can't get it off, I take the opposite approach...if you can't beat it, join it. I just burn on more oil to "season" the pan. :biggrin:
 
I think you made linoleum in your pan! If you did this 150 years ago, everyone would have been walking on woolieolieum in their kitchens!