N-Hexane/Acetone azetrope identification

In summary, the conversation revolves around the difficulties in identifying the n-Hexane/Acetone azetrope in an experiment for a physical chemistry class. The calculations and data have been checked multiple times and are deemed correct. The problem lies in the inconsistency of the data points and the uncertainty of the partner's portion of the experiment. The speaker seeks advice on how to accurately predict the azeotrope and how to discuss it in literature.
speny83

Homework Statement

I am working on an experiment rite up for a physical chem class regarding the n-Hexane/Acetone azetrope. I have done my calcs, tripple checked both the data and the clacs and everything is as correct as it can be at this point (i can't change figures recorded in the lab notes and just have to work with it as is)

the problem is that none of the lines connect to where i can definitively point out the azeotrope (see image)https://www.dropbox.com/s/v0bqszxdatqcfhg/expt3.jpg...I understand the azetrope would be at the minimum where, theoretically, these plots should over lap.

What would you do in this case?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I suppose it is worth mentioning that this was a 2 man group project, partner did the stuff on the right side in blue so I have no way of really knowing what happened in his lab. All I can say is that for mine portion I was very careful to record temps twice, calibrate the thermocoupler twice for consistency and always used the same instrument when reading the Refractive index. there where 4 instruments in all so if the partner used a combo of them, didnt wait for the sample to cool first, these could all through off the R.I. which is why the round points for Y(hexane)' are off and if he had calibrated the thermo coupler corectly maybe his temps would be a degree or so lower to where they would match mine.

again any advice on how to accuratley predict the azeotrope would be of great help.
Also, how does one correctly discuss an azetrope in literature? Would you say an "the azeotrope occurs at aprox. mole fraction of 0.48 with a boiling point of..."

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• expt3.jpg
    expt3.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 642
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is an N-Hexane/Acetone azetrope?

An N-Hexane/Acetone azetrope is a mixture of N-Hexane and Acetone that has a constant boiling point and composition. This means that the ratio of N-Hexane to Acetone in the mixture remains the same throughout the boiling process, resulting in a single boiling point for the entire mixture.

2. How is an N-Hexane/Acetone azetrope identified?

An N-Hexane/Acetone azetrope can be identified through various methods such as distillation, gas chromatography, and refractive index measurements. These techniques can determine the boiling point and composition of the mixture, which can then be compared to known azetrope data to confirm its identity.

3. Why is it important to identify N-Hexane/Acetone azetrope?

Identifying N-Hexane/Acetone azetrope is important for various purposes such as industrial processing, quality control, and safety. It allows for accurate and efficient separation of the two components, ensuring the desired product is obtained. It also helps in determining the proper handling and storage procedures for the mixture.

4. What are the properties of N-Hexane/Acetone azetrope?

The properties of N-Hexane/Acetone azetrope include a boiling point of 57.9°C, a composition of 30.5% N-Hexane and 69.5% Acetone, and a density of 0.77 g/cm³. It is a colorless liquid with a strong odor and is highly flammable.

5. Can N-Hexane/Acetone azetrope be separated?

No, N-Hexane/Acetone azetrope cannot be separated by simple distillation. This is because the boiling point of the mixture is lower than the boiling points of its individual components. Special techniques such as azeotropic distillation or extractive distillation are needed to separate the azetrope into its components.

Back