Name the Character: Movie Guessing Challenge!

In summary: This sci-fi classic tells the story of an American scientist who travels to the moon to harvest helium-3, only to find that the moon is inhabited by a race of aliens who have been observing and studying humanity for centuries. That was good one, especially because there was a "red herring" involved. The movie is called "Moon" and it's about an American scientist who goes to the moon to harvest helium-3. There's a "red herring" involved because the scientist is actually an alien who has been observing and studying humanity for centuries.
DiracPool
Ok, I got an experimental idea for a game. I'm going to post a picture from a movie and the first person that guesses it can then post a new picture. Pretty inventive, huh? Oh, and the rules are you can't upload the picture to that google image recognition thing (of course). Be honest. Name the character and the movie. If you can't remember the character name then the real name of the actor will suffice. Give this image a go:

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/6710/alteredstates2011010500.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Garlic
Physics news on Phys.org
Seen the movie but never would have guessed it in a zillion years. Maybe because I haven't seen it in a zillion years.

DaveC426913 said:
Seen the movie but never would have guessed it in a zillion years. Maybe because I haven't seen it in a zillion years.

Well, that's because it came out a zillion years ago. It's Blair Brown in "Altered states" circa early 80's. So, even though you didn't guess it, I'll give you the conch, Dave, especially since no one else seems to be playing anyway...:oldshy:

neuv3w4.jpg

Wow, that's a good one. I know the actor, but I don't think I'll ever guess the movie. Maybe I set the standards to high in this thread?

Hint: same decade, still sci-fi genre. A cult classic.
Classic line "Why is there a watermelon in that 80 ton press?"

And if you haven't seen it, you should.

Jeff Goldblum but I forget the movie

EDIT: OK, I know what it is now. Can't even remember if I saw it, but since I love Jeff G. I probably did.

DaveC426913 said:
Hint: same decade, still sci-fi genre. A cult classic.

I got it, "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension"

That was good one, especially because there was a "red herring" involved. Nashville (1975). I was just about to post that answer but wanted to double check and make sure I found the image that you posted. I couldn't find it. So I kept at it and found Buckaroo.

Here's the image I found from Nashville that almost caused me to post the wrong answer:

jeff%2Bgoldblum%2Bnashville%2B1975%2Beyewear.png

phinds said:
Jeff Goldblum but I forget the movie

EDIT: OK, I know what it is now. Can't even remember if I saw it, but since I love Jeff G. I probably did.

Yeah, my conclusion is that the rules are too hard. So the revised rules is that the only thing you can't do is upload the image to google images (or equivalent). Anything else is fair game. So in this case, I took the fact that I knew it was Jeff Goldblum, and then I typed his name into google along with "white scarf" and "cowboy hat." And even after that I almost got it wrong because Buckaroo didn't show up, only Nashville.

So if you're presented with an image whereby you don't even recognize the character, you're going to be in big trouble. Therefore, google searching is OK to use through using clues in the image. So I'm going to try and be clever with my next image not to give away too many clues. But at the same time you should include enough clues not to make it impossible...

Ok, here's an easy one:
1118_0_screenshot.png

I want to say that's Steve Railsback, and therefore the film is Life Force.

[EDIT] Nope. Way off. Never saw the one to which this clue is referring.

Last edited:
It's one of the 2001 series

phinds said:
It's one of the 2001 series
It would seem not.

DaveC426913 said:
It would seem not.
I'll be darned.

DaveC426913 said:
I want to say that's Steve Railsback, and therefore the film is Life Force.

Nope. I'll give you guys a big hint: Helium 3

Astronuc said:
Sam Rockwell as Sam Bell in Moon (2009)

Bingo, you're up, Astronuc.

Surprise visitor.png

An unexpected visitor

Last edited:

1. Who is the target audience for "Name the Character: Movie Guessing Challenge!"?

The target audience for this game would be movie enthusiasts, especially those who enjoy guessing games and trivia related to popular movies.

2. How does the game work?

The game involves a series of movie character images being displayed on screen, and players have to guess the name of the character and the movie they are from. Points are awarded for correct answers and the player with the most points wins.

3. Are there different difficulty levels in the game?

Yes, the game offers different difficulty levels to cater to players of different skill levels. The difficulty level can be selected before starting the game.

4. Can the game be played with a group of people?

Yes, this game can be played with multiple players. It can be a fun group activity where players can take turns guessing the characters and competing against each other for the highest score.

5. Is there a time limit for each character in the game?

Yes, there is a time limit for each character in the game. This adds an element of challenge and urgency to the game, making it more exciting for players.