Naming Benzene Compounds: 1-Chloro-2-Nitrobenzene and 1-Chloro-3-Nitrobenzene

  • Thread starter Thread starter desmond iking
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Benzene
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
desmond iking
Messages
284
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


can i name the compound in the first photo as 1-chloro, 2nitro benzene
can I name the second compound as 1-chloro-3-nitrobenzene?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



the ans from my book is inside the photo
 
Attachments
  • DSC_0010.JPG
    DSC_0010.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 483
  • DSC_0011.JPG
    DSC_0011.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 472
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure these will be correct IUPAC names, but they will be definitely unambiguous.

I would call the first one o-chloronitrobenzene and the latter p-chloronitrobeznene. I believe these are still acceptable according to IUPAC rules.
 
Borek said:
I am not sure these will be correct IUPAC names, but they will be definitely unambiguous.

I would call the first one o-chloronitrobenzene and the latter p-chloronitrobeznene. I believe these are still acceptable according to IUPAC rules.

m-Chloronitrobenzene not p-chloronitrobenzene, for the second, if you're going to use that naming system.