Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Narrow gauge railway in Piaseczno

1. Jun 8, 2010 #1

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I have learned not long ago that JTBell loves streetcars - so here is something he may find amusing - narrow gauge railway in Piaseczno. Piaseczno is a city bordering Warsaw (partially flooded lately :frown:). Pictures are almost three years old, but from what I hear not much have changed. This is just a touristic attraction, not something that you may use to get to work :wink: It seems like every second railway lover is a kid. So there are kids everywhere and part of the trip is just for kids.

First of all - TICKETS!

Not some fancy electronic cards, not some colourful printouts, no - these are identical to train tickets I remember from my childhood. And not only they look genuine, there is a ticket inspector that checks them and perforates them. He tries to look very serious about his job and kids love it.

IMG_2300.JPG

First on the right - our car. Behind - Romanian diesel locomotive (switch engine/shunter), in the background - steam locomotive Px48, one that will pull us throughout the trip.

IMG_2231.JPG

Smoke, steam, whistle - and go!

IMG_2233.JPG

Route plan.

IMG_2265.JPG

Inside our car. It was attached in the last moment (in fact we were a little bit late and if not for the delay required to attach it we won't be inside). Other cars were much more crowded.

IMG_2254.JPG

Last car - full of balls, sticks, chairs, wood and so on. They are not necessary to run the train, but we will stop on the route to make use of them.

IMG_2237.JPG

Short break for kids - ostrich farm.

IMG_2244.JPG

Locomotive waiting till all kids will be back.

IMG_2253.JPG

We got to the end of the route, and we will be going back - for that locomotive must be moved to other end of the train.

IMG_2256.JPG

Smoke, steam and whistle again :smile:

IMG_2262.JPG

Picnic time. Now you know why we have these chairs, balls, sticks.

IMG_2269.JPG

Our Px (locomotive) from the outside:

IMG_2271.JPG

IMG_2272.JPG

IMG_2276.JPG

and from the inside:

IMG_2277.JPG

IMG_2278.JPG

IMG_2282.JPG

(if you are observant enough you may learn how engine driver dries his http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabanos to make them more tasty - that's the small pink object just in the middle, between knobs).

IMG_2280.JPG

Additional attraction - trolley powered by motorbike engine:

IMG_2286.JPG

Plate reads "First Locomotive Factory in Poland, Chrzanów" (Chrzanów is a city), "Coal 4.0 t".

IMG_2298.JPG

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2010 #2

jtbell

Those are cool, thanks for posting them! I haven't seen very many steam locomotives in action, because they're rather far apart here in the US. Three years ago my wife and I visited the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, a narrow-gauge line that runs between New Mexico and Colorado. It's a remnant of a much larger system, and reaches the highest elevation of any passenger railroad in the US, around 10000 ft = 3000 m. When we rode it in early June, there was still some snow at the highest points, and it was rather chilly in the unheated coaches and on the open platforms.

Attached Files:

4. Jun 8, 2010 #3

jtbell

Last summer, when my wife and I were traveling around Germany, we passed near the Harz Mountains, and I tried to work one of the Harz narrow-gauge steam trains into our itinerary, but we didn't have enough time. Instead, we rode a streetcar from Gotha into the Thüringer Wald. :smile:

(I like the quote from Goethe that you can see in the first picture: "For after all, one really doesn't travel in order to see and hear the same things every place")

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  5. Jun 9, 2010 #4

Borek

Sorry, I have it only in Polish and I wasn't there (yet) to take pictures: http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parowozownia_Wolsztyn - somewhere around 52°07'N 16°07'E. This is kind of an open air museum. Every year last April's Saturday they organize a steam locomotive parade - that can be an interesting event to watch during a trip to Poland :wink:

6. Jun 9, 2010 #5

jtbell

Yes, the Wolsztyn Experience! I've read about it in UK and US railfan magazines. Hm, now I've learned another bit of UK (?) railfan jargon: "footplating" = "steam train driving", apparently. It's odd that I don't remember seeing it in those magazines.

Someday I will have to visit Poland. :smile: Besides the steam-train stuff, there are some interesting small-town streetcar operations, and a large interurban streetcar system in the area around Katowice, the Tramwaje Śląskie. For the past few months, I've been downloading videos like this one from YouTube, made by a streetcar fan in Poland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEkc1O7cnEE

I love the way this line takes off into the woods at about the 3:00 mark.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  7. Jun 11, 2010 #6

Borek

Heat wave in Poland - apparently too high temperatures can be dangerous for street cars. Well, perhaps not street cars, but to their rails...

http://wiadomosci.onet.pl/cynk/1082,1,1,zdjecie.html [Broken]

(click "następne" for more pictures).

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  8. Jun 11, 2010 #7
  9. Jun 11, 2010 #8

turbo

Gold Member

There is a very interesting and unique narrow-gauge railway to the top of Mt. Washington in NH. The grade is very steep, so the locomotives can't rely on wheel-traction. Instead, they are driven by cogged wheels that mesh with a perforated central "rail".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Washington_Cog_Railway

In Maine there is the Belfast and Moosehead Lake Railway that operated out of the town of Unity. Steam locomotives running short excursions. During the Common Ground Country Fair (run by the local organic farmers and growers' association) the train shuttled people back and forth between nearby parking and the fair-grounds. They also had holiday-themed excursions for the kids. The operation was discontinued in 2008. It was a labor of love, and not profitable.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook