Nastiest thing you've said to someone

• Thread starter pitot-tube
  • Start date
In summary, some things that have made me regret saying them are calling a friend a hippie, calling a co-worker a go-sa-nv-hi {toad} with u-do-hi-yu gu-le {very tiny acorn nuts}, and yelling horrible, well-crafted pejoratives at a person who really doesn't deserve it.
pitot-tube
What is the nastiest thing you've said to someone and did you regret saying it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't remember ever saying anything really mean to anyone (on a personal level).

I once called Evo a Bush supporter, which I deeply regret.

Ivan Seeking said:
I once called Evo a Bush supporter, which I deeply regret.
Yeah, that was pretty bad.

I once called a close friend a hippie. He's actually a libertarian. Too mean. Oh, wait - here he is now! [you have no idea how long I've been waiting for an excuse to post this pic]

Something I don't regret but probably should, I was in a political discussion with some friends at a bar and somehow PETA came up. The discussion was rather general, when I commented that PETA is a terrorist organization. One of my friends then whipped-out her PETA membership card and slammed it down on the table. How embarassing for her.

Attachments

• hippie.jpg
    hippie.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 446
For some reason some people call me a hippie. Even random strangers in the street. I can't fathom why. :uhh:

I don't think this is the "nastiest" thing I've ever said to anyone, but it certainly did get the most chuckles:

"It's too bad that, unlike a TV, you do not have a brightness knob!"

Zz.

Kurdt said:
For some reason some people call me a hippie. Even random strangers in the street. I can't fathom why. :uhh:

^^^

that sounds like hippie talk to me

ZapperZ said:
I don't think this is the "nastiest" thing I've ever said to anyone, but it certainly did get the most chuckles:

"It's too bad that, unlike a TV, you do not have a brightness knob!"

Zz.
I reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaally don't want to know the context of that conversation!

russ_watters said:
I once called a close friend a hippie. He's actually a libertarian. Too mean. Oh, wait - here he is now! [you have no idea how long I've been waiting for an excuse to post this pic]
He's the one you call a hippie?! :rofl:

Something I don't regret but probably should, I was in a political discussion with some friends at a bar and somehow PETA came up. The discussion was rather general, when I commented that PETA is a terrorist organization. One of my friends then whipped-out her PETA membership card and slammed it down on the table. How embarassing for her.

Oops.

I'm not usually nasty to people, and can't recall anything I've said that was nasty, just things that have turned out to be embarrassing. Did that today completely by accident, joking about how late my intern and grad student stayed out last night (it only came up as conversation because they were both hanging onto coffee mugs for dear life) and commented that when the intern wasn't home before I went to sleep (she's staying in my guest room), I just thought maybe they'd hit it off better than I expected and she wasn't coming home at all last night...I got the guiltiest, most red-faced reactions from the both of them to that comment.

You know...I lost track of what the meanest thing I've ever said to someone is. Could we narrow the category?

I had a co-worker make a sexual comment to me. So I called him a ...go-sa-nv-hi {toad} with u-do-hi-yu gu-le {very tiny acorn nuts}. He asked me what it ment and i told him if Ihalf to say it in english I would half to kick him there too.

Moonbear said:
It's his own fault - he supported Ron Paul for a little while. I need to come up with a nickname for the young, nerdy people who support him (Time did an article about them...). "Paulies", maybe?

Oh, YES! Please DO! We really need a LOT more name-calling around here!

I highly doubt any of them are possible to post here.

Moonbear said:

Russ thinks that anyone who didn't vote for Bush is a hippie! :rofl:

Being a teacher, I regularly have to choke back words that my ID wants to yell at some of my students. I've been doing a good job in that department, and I'm glad to say I have not ever said anything that was deliberately insulting (there are, however, people who choose to be insulted by anything other than over-the-top, full-steam, blithering compliments).

But all those choked-back insults come out in my dreams, occasionally, where for no real provocation I start yelling horrible, well-crafted pejoratives at a person who really doesn't deserve it. And no, it does not make me feel better.

1. What is the nastiest thing you've ever said to someone?

The nastiest thing I've ever said to someone is subjective and depends on the situation. However, I always try to be respectful and avoid saying hurtful things to others.

2. Have you ever regretted saying something nasty to someone?

Yes, there have been times when I regretted saying something nasty to someone. It's important to think before speaking and apologize if necessary.

3. How do you handle someone saying something nasty to you?

I try to stay calm and not engage in a back-and-forth argument. I may address the issue calmly or simply remove myself from the situation.

4. Why do people say nasty things to others?

People may say nasty things to others out of anger, jealousy, insecurity, or a lack of empathy. It's important to consider the root cause before reacting to someone's hurtful words.

5. Can saying something nasty to someone have long-lasting effects?

Yes, saying something nasty to someone can have long-lasting effects on their self-esteem and relationships. It's important to be mindful of our words and the impact they can have on others.