Natalee Holloway Suspect Sought in Peru Murder

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
38 replies · 6K views
leroyjenkens said:
Why should it matter who you kill? That implies some people are better than others.

Peru is a highly class-conscious society. So in that sense this doesn't surprise me, but I think this speaks more to revolution, than crime.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
leroyjenkens said:
Why should it matter who you kill? That implies some people are better than others.

It was probably passed in response to attempts to overthrow the government and previous http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_Conflict_in_Peru" .
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
Peru is a highly class-conscious society. So in that sense this doesn't surprise me, but I think this speaks more to revolution, than crime.

It's also like that here in America. If you kill a cop, it carriers a lot harsher penalty than if you just kill some nobody on the street.
 
dlgoff said:
From what I've been hearing on the TV news, he is saying he didn't mean to kill her. I guess he just doesn't know his own strength when it comes to trying to rape.
I wouldn't take anything he says seriously, given his history with interviews.
 
There is a mistake in previous posts.

In Peru, death penalty applies only "in case of betrayal to the country during a war with an external enemy".

I am peruvian.
 
Castilla said:
There is a mistake in previous posts.

In Peru, death penalty applies only "in case of betrayal to the country during a war with an external enemy".

I am peruvian.

Yes, they alluded to this in the news report, but it wasn't clear that this applied to both cases. Apparently assasination qualifies as betrayal?

How is betrayal defined?
 
I found this description of "betrayal to the country" in a peruvian legally-oriented web page: "To favour the external enemy during war, supplying him with any data, procedure, issue, document or object that may be used to damage the national defense".

Obviously, it does not apply to Van der Sloot.
 
Castilla said:
Obviously, it does not apply to Van der Sloot.

No. By both cases I meant the cases of assasination and treason.

Just curious.
 
Monique said:
I wouldn't take anything he says seriously, given his history with interviews.
I was being facetious. He's just trying to get out of a stiffer sentence by saying he didn't mean to do it. IMO