Navy says gamers have improved fluid intelligence

In summary, the Navy has found that video game players have shown a 10 to 20 percent improvement in perceptual and cognitive abilities compared to non-game players. This is due to the fast-paced and strategic nature of video games, which require players to think quickly and make tactical decisions in the heat of battle. This type of thinking can also be applied outside of gaming, as players learn to recognize situations and use their resources effectively. Video games should not be dismissed as "rotting your brain" as they can actually have a positive impact on cognitive skills.
Pythagorean
Gold Member
Navy says gamers have improved "fluid intelligence"

http://kotaku.com/5457590/us-navy-video-games-improve-brains-fluid-intelligence

"We have discovered that video game players perform 10 to 20 percent higher in terms of perceptual and cognitive ability than normal people that are non-game players,"

This makes sense to me. I'll use Halo as an example since it's a popular first person shooter. (However, games like Call of Duty require more strategy and keeping your head down like in a real battle.)

In the canonical example, you have grenades in one hand and your smg in the other hand. The smg can't shoot around corners, but your frag grenade can. So if an enemy (another human... playing against comptuers is too easy) is hiding behind cover, you toss a frag grenade his way and he runs out, then you can shoot him (or her) down with your msg.

Another tactic is to run around a corner, shooting with your smg, then stop and pull out your shotgun. When they come around the corner, BOOM!

These all seem fairly obvious (but even in physics, isn't the solution always obvious after you've seen it?) but what's impressive is that we don't think up these tactics before hand. It's only looking back that I can see these tactics I've come up in a fluid way (thus, fluid intelligence) in the heat of battle.

But you can apply this kind of thinking outside of battle. It's a matter of recognizing your situation, and knowing how your can apply your inventory to resolving the situation, even if the contents of your inventory weren't designed with your application in mind. But it's also a matter of knowing human nature so that you can bait people into thinking you're vulnerable and also knowing when you should run away and regroup because you're vulnerable. Sun Tsu would approve.

Physics news on Phys.org

Aren't you just trying to justify playing games?

Edit: I'm sure playing more soccer would have the same effect. And it gives you a workout.

theCandyman said:

Edit: I'm sure playing more soccer would have the same effect. And it gives you a workout.

It has been a common thought that video games "rot your brain". I believe this is showing that to be false.

I have met many types of people that play video games. Why can one not play soccer and video games? A supervisor from an old job of mine had a black belt in Karate, was a part time instructor at the dojo next door, and he loved his video games. I've even been acquainted with a few ladies online that are health nuts and love video games. One in particular says she is an addict and owns nearly every console that has been made. She is also rather fit and slender and practices yoga, martial arts, and parkour.

Perhaps the point to take from this article is really that your preconceived notions about the people who play video games may well be very wrong.

I remember one experiment, mentioned on Daily Planet, that determined the number of dots subjects could "count" without actively counting. (For example, if I show somebody 4 dots and ask how many dots there are, he'll say "4" without having to count.) Non-gamers could manage 5 dots on average, while gamers could manage 7.

ideasrule said:
I remember one experiment, mentioned on Daily Planet, that determined the number of dots subjects could "count" without actively counting. (For example, if I show somebody 4 dots and ask how many dots there are, he'll say "4" without having to count.) Non-gamers could manage 5 dots on average, while gamers could manage 7.

Interesting. That's called "subitizing". I didn't know there was a way to improve that ability, but it makes sense that practice in tracking lots of things on screen simultaneously might be beneficial.

must be true. from what I've seen, kids these days have no trouble at all listening to a stats lecture while also browsing facebook or playing WoW on their laptops. it's really quite impressive.

Practice makes perfect. What is amazing about gamers superior performance vs non gamers? The us military has been exploiting this resource since the 80's. As simulations better approximate reality, real world performance by trainees will become more effective.

theCandyman said:

Why would I need to justify playing video games? Is there a taboo I'm not aware of?

Pythagorean said:
Why would I need to justify playing video games? Is there a taboo I'm not aware of?

"Gamers" are people who spend lots of time playing games, not just casually. The cons for that outweigh the pros. I don't care how well I do on one of those ultimately meaningless tests, I wish I never spent so much time playing video games.

It obviously depends on WHICH game you are playing.

However, anyone who has ever played against some "serious" gamers in a first-person shooter can tell you that some of these guys have EXTREMELY good reflexes and what I guess one could call "spatial awareness".
Really good professional gamers (e.g. Fatali1ty) probably have reflexes that are as good as those of professional athletes (e.g. fencing), but of course they also practice just as much (if not more) so that is hardly surprising.

It would be interesting to know how well people who play other types of games do, are e.g. professional Starcraft players better than your average person in situations that require "tactical thinking" and forward planning?

It would be interesting to know how well people who play other types of games do, are e.g. professional Starcraft players better than your average person in situations that require "tactical thinking" and forward planning?
I've played Starcraft since the late 90's and got really good. I can say that the combat strategies you learn in SC could apply to real life battles.

Some strategies you think would be intuitive, but evidently aren't. Like you would think people would realize that sending your troops to attack in a straight line towards the enemy is bad, but almost every beginning Starcraft (or any RTS) player does that.

I just love the image they pick for the article: Brain jello.
How appropriate.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/9/2010/01/500x_jellobrain.jpg http://www.ovcart.com/images/inventory/13402.4020.zoom.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
leroyjenkens said:
"Gamers" are people who spend lots of time playing games, not just casually. The cons for that outweigh the pros. I don't care how well I do on one of those ultimately meaningless tests, I wish I never spent so much time playing video games.

Is that your definition of gamer or the Navy's? I suspect you're bias from your experience.

Pythagorean said:
Is that your definition of gamer or the Navy's? I suspect you're bias from your experience.

It's my definition, but I don't see how anyone elses definition could be different. Everyone has played games, so what distinction could "gamer" be, other than someone who plays games a lot?
I play games a lot. I'd consider myself a gamer, so I don't know what bias I could have, since my opinion is that being a "gamer" isn't very advantageous.

Chronos said:
Practice makes perfect. What is amazing about gamers superior performance vs non gamers? The us military has been exploiting this resource since the 80's. As simulations better approximate reality, real world performance by trainees will become more effective.

I agree. Games like SC and Counter Strike or DoD or CoD, I consider them all video adaptations of game like stones, or risk, or chess, and games like that have been proven to be good for the brain for a long time now. You can apply strategies or similar thought processes that you use in games like chess or risk in the real world, or even in the aforementioned games.

The trait I've most noticed developed in myself from playing RTS games is 'teamwork' and predicting short term outcomes.

I'm more easily able to tell when something isn't likely to succeed, what may be coming next and if my 'teammate' is in trouble.

leroyjenkens said:
It's my definition, but I don't see how anyone elses definition could be different. Everyone has played games, so what distinction could "gamer" be, other than someone who plays games a lot?
Well, you've exluded your judgment in this post that the 'cons outweigh the pros' which is what I was reffering to as your bias.

This would be classified as addiction, which I don't equate with 'gamer', though they aren't mutually exlusive of course.

I'm not addicted to gaming, but I'm a gamer. You seem to be saying you're addicted so every other gamer must be.

Well, you've exluded your judgment in this post that the 'cons outweigh the pros' which is what I was reffering to as your bias.
I excluded it because you didn't ask about that, you asked about my definition of gamer. I still stand by it, though.
This would be classified as addiction, which I don't equate with 'gamer', though they aren't mutually exlusive of course.

I'm not addicted to gaming, but I'm a gamer. You seem to be saying you're addicted so every other gamer must be.
No, you're saying that, not me. I was never addicted to games. I played them when I could have been doing more constructive things, but I didn't have to play them. I wish I had used those hours to learn a skill or spend more time on academics. The pros are scoring slightly better on perceptual and cognitive tests, the cons are not using that time to do things that can actually make you successful.
So playing video games makes you better at playing video games, basically. I don't see why that's so amazing to you.

leroyjenkens said:
So playing video games makes you better at playing video games, basically.
If you call maths and physics "video games", then yes. Also you couldn't have used those hours to study instead, you obviously lacked the motivation and then the choice was between some more relaxing activities. The question is not "Would I rather that I had studied than playing games?", instead something like: "Would I rather that I had watched TV soaps instead of playing games?".

Basically you have a chronological bias, the things that were fun then do not give you anything now so you think that they were useless. Using the same logic you shouldn't have gone on any trips, cinemas and such since then you would have a lot more money now!

leroyjenkens said:
I excluded it because you didn't ask about that, you asked about my definition of gamer. I still stand by it, though.

No, you're saying that, not me. I was never addicted to games. I played them when I could have been doing more constructive things, but I didn't have to play them. I wish I had used those hours to learn a skill or spend more time on academics. The pros are scoring slightly better on perceptual and cognitive tests, the cons are not using that time to do things that can actually make you successful.
So playing video games makes you better at playing video games, basically. I don't see why that's so amazing to you.

We have discovered that video game players perform 10 to 20 percent higher in terms of perceptual and cognitive ability than normal people that are non-game players," s

"We know that video games can increase perceptual abilities and short-term memory," he said. They allow the player to focus longer and expand the player's field of vision compared to people who don't play video games, he added.

While there is empirical evidence of increased brain plasticity in video gamers, Perez said, the process behind it is not well understood. His belief, he said, is that the neural networks involved in video gaming become more pronounced, have increased blood flow, and become more synchronized with other neural networks in the brain.

Wikipedia said:
Fluid and crystallized intelligence
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Fluid intelligence)
Jump to: navigation, search
In psychology, fluid and crystallized intelligence (abbreviated Gf and Gc, respectively) are factors of general intelligence originally identified by Raymond Cattell.[1] Fluid intelligence is the ability to find meaning in confusion and solve new problems. It is the ability to draw inferences and understand the relationships of various concepts, independent of acquired knowledge. Crystallized intelligence is the ability to use skills, knowledge, and experience. It should not be equated with memory or knowledge, but it does rely on accessing information from long-term memory. The terms are somewhat misleading because one is not a "crystallized" form of the other. Rather, they are believed to be separate neural and mental systems.

Fluid and crystallized intelligence are correlated with each other, and most IQ tests attempt to measure both varieties. For example, the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale (WAIS) measures fluid intelligence on the performance scale and crystallized intelligence on the verbal scale. The overall IQ score is based on a combination of these two scales.

Right... So playing video-games ONLY makes you better at playing video-games... That's DEFINITELY what I got out of that... [/sarcasm]

leroyjenkens said:
It's my definition, but I don't see how anyone elses definition could be different. Everyone has played games, so what distinction could "gamer" be, other than someone who plays games a lot? ...
From http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Gamer" :
Merriam-Webster said:
Main Entry: gam·er
Pronunciation: \ˈgā-mər\
Function: noun
Date: circa 1630

1 : a player who is game; especially : an athlete who relishes competition
2 : a person who plays games; especially : a person who regularly plays computer or video games.

Obviously, "regularly" and "a lot" are relative terms. "A lot" for someone with a busy schedule would mean something completely different when compared to someone who does not have any responsibilities.

I think most would agree that the term "gamer" holds negative connotations, which is unfortunate and misplaced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another interesting potential benefit of video games: http://medgadget.com/archives/2009/03/action_video_games_improve_visual_contrast_quality.html

I wonder if the people who did this study have actually played CoD and Halo. Visual contrast is much more important in CoD in my experience. When I switched to CoD 3 from Halo 3, it took me a long time to get used to picking out targets. It also took me a while to realize that if you sit still, people have a really hard time seeing you compared to when you're walking.

If you call maths and physics "video games", then yes.
Video games make you better at math and physics? If that were true, I'd be amazing at math and physics, which I'm not.
Also you couldn't have used those hours to study instead, you obviously lacked the motivation and then the choice was between some more relaxing activities.
So it would have broken the laws of physics for me to have studied instead of played video games?
I COULD have, but I never said I WOULD have. I said I WISHED I had.
Basically you have a chronological bias, the things that were fun then do not give you anything now so you think that they were useless. Using the same logic you shouldn't have gone on any trips, cinemas and such since then you would have a lot more money now!
That's not entirely true. The game I spent the most time on was Starcraft. I still find that fun and I still play it. Just not nearly as much as I used to. I still find it fun. It was fun then and it's fun now, but just because I had fun, doesn't mean it was worthwhile playing it as much as I did.
It's like eating donuts. I think eating donuts tastes good. If I was fat and I said I wished I never ate those donuts, doesn't that make sense? Sure, they tasted good and they still taste good, but I wished I never ate so many.
Right... So playing video-games ONLY makes you better at playing video-games... That's DEFINITELY what I got out of that... [/sarcasm]
I wouldn't even say playing video games makes you good at video games. Playing a lot of FPS games won't make you good at RTS games.

Maybe people prone to becoming "gamers" are more likely to have that kind of intelligence regardless of the games. Is that possibility being ignored?
I think most would agree that the term "gamer" holds negative connotations, which is unfortunate and misplaced.
I don't think it's negative. When I hear "he's a gamer" in my head, it sounds to me that the person is saying they're good at games, not necessarily that they're a dork who spends all day playing them.

leroyjenkens said:
I wouldn't even say playing video games makes you good at video games. Playing a lot of FPS games won't make you good at RTS games.

I whole-heartedly disagree. For games like CoD and Counter Strike, unless you just have a bunch of nubs who run off on their own, generally you work together as a team and create real-time strategies as you go, or use strategies that have been proven to work in the past from experience to complete your objective, whether it's capture the flag/protect your flag, planting a bomb/defending a bomb site, or capturing/defending hostages. You need strategies and teamwork to do it, along with the quick decision making and reflexes. You also need the ability to predict with some degree of accuracy where people are, where they're going to be, and where they might be coming from. So if you do scrims in counter-strike or CoD for example and you're good at it from experience, then the strategy making you've developed from playing those will transfer very well to RTS games like StarCraft.

leroyjenkens said:
Video games make you better at math and physics? If that were true, I'd be amazing at math and physics, which I'm not.
That is a strawman if I ever saw one. If you perform 10-20% better due to playing video games then it is an improvement, but it wouldn't make you amazing at it if you weren't already from the start.

I whole-heartedly disagree. For games like CoD and Counter Strike, unless you just have a bunch of nubs who run off on their own, generally you work together as a team and create real-time strategies as you go, or use strategies that have been proven to work in the past from experience to complete your objective, whether it's capture the flag/protect your flag, planting a bomb/defending a bomb site, or capturing/defending hostages. You need strategies and teamwork to do it, along with the quick decision making and reflexes. You also need the ability to predict with some degree of accuracy where people are, where they're going to be, and where they might be coming from. So if you do scrims in counter-strike or CoD for example and you're good at it from experience, then the strategy making you've developed from playing those will transfer very well to RTS games like StarCraft.
Different games, different strategies. It doesn't transfer. Like being good at Monopoly does not help you become good at Chess. They're too different.
I was great at Starcraft, yet it took me forever to get the hang of Call of Duty. None of the skills or strategies I have from Starcraft transfered.
That is a strawman if I ever saw one. If you perform 10-20% better due to playing video games then it is an improvement, but it wouldn't make you amazing at it if you weren't already from the start.
So it will make you amazing if you were amazing already?

leroyjenkens said:
So it will make you amazing if you were amazing already?
The point is just that it makes you better, not by how much. Having 10-20% better scores on a test checking for cognitive ability certainly means something for maths/physics ability, but it is not like it will make you start ace exams all of a sudden.

leroyjenkens said:
Different games, different strategies.

That's irrelevant to my point. My point is that one becomes better at creating strategies as a whole, regardless of the situation, which is what the navy is talking about. It increases one's ability to make better split-second decisions, and makes the process of coming up with a strategy much easier and quicker, whether or not one has encountered such a situation before. Of course, that depends on how one play the games I'm talking about, and whether one works as a team, or even tries to create strategies while one is playing. If all one does is go all over the place without thinking and just finding people to shoot/destroy, obviously that's not going to be beneficial to what they're talking about. But generally when one uses the word 'gamer', one is talking about someone that plays the game to the full extent, and plays the way I'm referring to.

Klockan3 said:
The point is just that it makes you better, not by how much. Having 10-20% better scores on a test checking for cognitive ability certainly means something for maths/physics ability, but it is not like it will make you start ace exams all of a sudden.

Agreed, and that's the point. It may help one understand the concepts behind what is being taught easier or faster, but it's not going to make one amazingly smart and make them start to ace exams.

1. How does the Navy define "gamers" in this context?

The Navy considers "gamers" to be individuals who regularly engage in video games for entertainment purposes.

2. What is fluid intelligence and why is it important?

Fluid intelligence is the ability to think abstractly, reason, and solve problems in new situations. It is important because it allows individuals to adapt and learn quickly, which is crucial in many fields, including the military.

3. What evidence does the Navy have to support the claim that gaming improves fluid intelligence?

The Navy conducted a study in which individuals were randomly assigned to either a video game training group or a control group. The video game training group showed significant improvements in fluid intelligence compared to the control group.

4. Are there any limitations to this study?

Yes, there are some limitations to this study. The study only looked at a specific group of individuals and may not be representative of the general population. Additionally, the study only looked at short-term effects and did not examine the long-term impact of gaming on fluid intelligence.

5. Can gaming be used as a training tool for the military?

While this study suggests that gaming can improve fluid intelligence, more research is needed before it can be used as a training tool in the military. It is also important to consider the potential negative effects of excessive gaming, such as addiction and decreased social interactions.