NCl3 (Nitrogen-TriChloride), a new fuel?

• Thread starter DarKonion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fuel
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of various chemicals, such as Ammonia and Hypochlorous Acid, to create Nitrogen-TriChloride. However, the resulting compound is toxic and can lead to harmful by-products when burned. This raises concerns about its use as a fuel.
DarKonion
I work at a Pool store where I have many chemicals laying around me. One day I got bored and started toying with the idea of what can I make out of these chemicals. So concluded, here is my Equation:

NH3 + 3 HOCl = NCl3 + 3 H2O

Simplified:

(1 part Ammonia) + (3 parts Hypochlorous Acid) = (1 part Nitrogen-TriChloride) + (3 parts Water)

HOCl (Hypochlorous Acid) is made with this Equation:

Cl2 + 2 H2O = HOCl + HCl
(This is called "Chlorination" of Water)

My question is:
Is Nitrogen-TriChloride a reasonable fuel? I know someone messed with this before but he, I believe, used this Equation:

3 Cl2 + NH3 = NCl3 + 3 HCl

and he blew off 3 fingers and an eye... So I'm thinking you can do the same thing but in water... Any Thoughts

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Without getting into the chemistry of isolating the NCl3 from the mixture of mono and dichloroamine produced when bleach and ammonia react, you should know that the trichloride is a toxic, irritating gas. The by-products of burning this are either toxic chlorine gas or HCl and NOx. Very corrosive stuff and NOx to boot!

I would strongly advise against using NCl3 as a fuel. While it may seem like a convenient way to use common chemicals as a source of energy, the reaction involved in producing NCl3 is highly dangerous and unpredictable. NCl3 is a highly reactive and unstable compound that can easily explode, as evidenced by the incident you mentioned where someone lost fingers and an eye.

Furthermore, using NCl3 as a fuel source would also release toxic chlorine gas, which is harmful to both humans and the environment. The production and use of NCl3 would also require careful handling and disposal of the byproducts, such as HCl and water.

There are much safer and more efficient ways to produce energy, such as using renewable resources or developing cleaner and more sustainable fuels. It is important to always prioritize safety and consider the potential risks and consequences before experimenting with chemicals.

Related to NCl3 (Nitrogen-TriChloride), a new fuel?

1. What is NCl3 (Nitrogen-TriChloride)?

NCl3 (Nitrogen-TriChloride) is a compound made up of one nitrogen atom and three chlorine atoms. It is often referred to as a new fuel because of its potential to be used as a source of energy in various industries.

2. How is NCl3 (Nitrogen-TriChloride) different from other fuels?

NCl3 (Nitrogen-TriChloride) is different from other fuels because it has a higher energy density, meaning it can release more energy per unit of mass. It is also a more stable and less flammable fuel option compared to others.

3. What are the potential benefits of using NCl3 (Nitrogen-TriChloride) as a fuel?

The potential benefits of using NCl3 (Nitrogen-TriChloride) as a fuel include reduced carbon emissions, increased efficiency, and lower costs. It also has the potential to be a sustainable and renewable energy source.

4. Are there any risks associated with NCl3 (Nitrogen-TriChloride) as a fuel?

As with any new fuel, there may be some risks involved in the production and use of NCl3 (Nitrogen-TriChloride). These risks can include potential health and environmental hazards, which would need to be carefully managed and mitigated.

5. Is NCl3 (Nitrogen-TriChloride) currently being used as a fuel?

NCl3 (Nitrogen-TriChloride) is still in the early stages of research and development, and it is not currently being used as a fuel on a large scale. However, there are ongoing studies and trials to explore its potential as a viable energy source in the future.