Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

NCl3 (Nitrogen-TriChloride), a new fuel?

1. Jun 18, 2008 #1
    I work at a Pool store where I have many chemicals laying around me. One day I got bored and started toying with the idea of what can I make out of these chemicals. So concluded, here is my Equation:

NH3 + 3 HOCl = NCl3 + 3 H2O

(1 part Ammonia) + (3 parts Hypochlorous Acid) = (1 part Nitrogen-TriChloride) + (3 parts Water)

HOCl (Hypochlorous Acid) is made with this Equation:

Cl2 + 2 H2O = HOCl + HCl
    (This is called "Chlorination" of Water)

My question is:
    Is Nitrogen-TriChloride a reasonable fuel? I know someone messed with this before but he, I believe, used this Equation:

3 Cl2 + NH3 = NCl3 + 3 HCl

and he blew off 3 fingers and an eye... So I'm thinking you can do the same thing but in water... Any Thoughts
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Without getting into the chemistry of isolating the NCl3 from the mixture of mono and dichloroamine produced when bleach and ammonia react, you should know that the trichloride is a toxic, irritating gas. The by-products of burning this are either toxic chlorine gas or HCl and NOx. Very corrosive stuff and NOx to boot!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?