NDSolvederlen: - Mathematica error - TOV equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with solving a set of coupled ODEs for modeling a relativistic star using Mathematica. The user has defined initial values and equations correctly, but is getting an error about the length of the derivative operator not being the same as the number of arguments. They have tried various solutions, including defining the density function explicitly in terms of pressure, but the error persists. They have also referenced a helpful PDF for solving these types of equations with Mathematica, but are still unable to find the problem. They request any assistance in solving this issue.
tau1777
Hi All,

I'm trying to solve a set of three coupled ODES. I have given initial values for all functions, and I believe I have entered in the code correctly but I still get this error telling me that the derivative operator is not the same length as the number of arguments. What does that mean? And how I fix it? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

I've included all of my code below. Along with some comments in the lines I think need it. Previously mathematica was giving me an error about the stepsize at r =1, so I just added the option for the first step.

Oh, in case it helps, I'm trying to model a relativistic star. By solving the TOV equations.

In[1]:= n = 1 (*polytropic index*)

Out[1]= 1

In[2]:= \[CapitalGamma] = 1 + 1/n

Out[2]= 2

In[3]:= K1 = 5.3802*10^9 (*polytropic contant in cgs units*)

Out[3]= 5.3802*10^9

In[4]:= Clear[P]

In[5]:= \[Rho]c = 1*10^(15) (*central density of the star, i guessed*)

Out[5]= 1000000000000000

In[6]:= pc = K1 * \[Rho]c^(\[CapitalGamma]) (*central pressure*)

Out[6]= 5.3802*10^39

In[7]:= \[Rho][r_] = (P[r]/K1)^(1/\[CapitalGamma]) (*polytropic equation. different than it usually look because I'm solving it for ρ instead of P. Because I will substitute in ρ for P in the equations below*)

Out[7]= 0.0000136333 Sqrt[P[r]]

In[8]:= M0 = 1.98892*10^33 (*one solar mass in grams*)

Out[8]= 1.98892*10^33

In[9]:= M = 1.4*M0 (*mass of my star*)

Out[9]= 2.78449*10^33

sol = NDSolve[ {D[\[Nu][r], r] == 2*(m[r] + 4*\[Pi]*r^3*P[r])/(r (r - 2*M)),
D[P[r], r] == -(\[Rho][r] + P[r])* ((m[r] + 4*\[Pi]*r^3*P[r])/(r (r - 2*M))),
D[m[r], r] == 4*\[Pi]*r^2*\[Rho][r],
P[1] == pc, m[1] == 0, \[Nu][1] == 11}, {\[Nu], P, m}, {r, 1, 12000},
StartingStepSize → 10]

During evaluation of In[13]:= NDSolve::derlen: The length of the derivative operator Derivative[1] in (\[Nu]^\[Prime])[r] is not the same as the number of arguments. >>

Physics news on Phys.org
Your differential equations include 4 functions of r, nu(r), P(r), rho(r), and m(r), but your list of functions in the NDSolve statement only involves 3 of these, nu, P, and m. This is what it is complaining about.

Thanks phyzguy,

I had defined ρ(r) in terms of P(r) , and was hoping that Mathematica would pull that definition but it doesn't. I've tried entering this now:

sol = NDSolve[ {D[\[Nu][r], r] ==
2*(m[r] + 4*\[Pi]*r^3*P[r])/(r (r - 2*M)),
D[P[r], r] == -(0.000013633293674139719` Sqrt[P[r]] +
P[r])* ((m[r] + 4*\[Pi]*r^3*P[r])/(r (r - 2*M))),
D[m[r], r] == 4*\[Pi]*r^2*0.000013633293674139719` Sqrt[P[r]],
P[1] == pc, m[1] == 0, \[Nu][1] == 11}, {\[Nu], P, m}, {r, 1,
12000}, StartingStepSize -> 10]

but I get the error " NDSolve::ndcf: Repeated convergence test failure at r == 1.`; unable to continue."

Any thoughts? Thanks again.

I think this means that it is unable to find a self-consistent set of values at the first iteration. Are you sure the equations you've entered are self-consistent? Try calculating manually the values of the variables and their derivatives at the first 1 or 2 points.

PLEASE HELP. Re: NDSolve::derlen: - Mathematica error - TOV equations

PLEASE HELP. Ok, I'm about to lose my mind trying to do this Mathematica, I was having trouble implementing my code to solve the TOV equations. So I searched on the internet and found this very helpful pdf here : http://ipnweb.in2p3.fr/~PhT-IPN/membres/docs/Margueron-lecture1-Coimbra.pdf

I wrote the code out exactly the way they have it in page 11 I believe, titled "Solving the TOV equations with Mathematica". However when I go to solve I get the same error about the length of the derivative operator. I went through it and saw that just as I was defining my density function, they were doing that as well. So replaced the density function inside of NDSolve with a function explicitly of pressure. And STILL I get this error about the length of the derivative operator.

If you can find the problem please tell me. Here's my code:

(*constants in units of CGS*)

msol = 1.989*10^(-33) (*1 solar mass*)

Out[1]= 1.989*10^-33

G = 6.67*10^(-8) (*gravitational constant*)

Out[2]= 6.67*10^-8

c = 2.9979*10^(-10) (*speed of light*)

Out[21]= 2.9979*10^-10

rsol = 2*G*msol/c^2 (*Schwarschild radius of the Sun*)

Out[4]= 2.95227*10^-21

rhosol = msol*3/(4*Pi*rsol^3) (*density of the Sun*)

Out[5]= 1.84534*10^28

In[6]:=
(*define polytropic equation and its inverse*)

In[7]:= K1 = 5.38*10^(9)

Out[7]= 5.38*10^9

In[8]:= n1 = 1

Out[8]= 1

In[9]:= \[CapitalGamma] = 1 + 1/n1

Out[9]= 2

prs[d_] := K1*d^\[CapitalGamma] (*polytropic equation*)

rhs[p_] := (1/K1)*
p^(1/\[CapitalGamma]) (*inverse polytropic equation*)(*set critical density, and other initial values*)

rho0 = 1.0 *10^(15) (*I'm guessing at this value*)

Out[12]= 1.*10^15

p0 = prs[rho0] (*should be the critical density*)

Out[13]= 5.38*10^39

In[14]:= rmin = .001

Out[14]= 0.001

In[15]:= rmax = 5

Out[15]= 5

In[16]:= rhs[p[r]*p0]

Out[16]= 1.36335*10^10 Sqrt[p[r]](*solve the equations*)

Clear

In[20]:= s =
NDSolve[{D[m[r], r] == If[p[r] > 0.0, 3*(1.3633547078730297`*^10 Sqrt[p[r]])/rhosol*r^2, 0.0],

D[p[r], r]* r*(m[r] - r) == If[p[r] > 0.0, 0.5*(1.3633547078730297`*^10 Sqrt[p[r]])*c^2/p0*m[r]*(1.0 +
p[r]*p0/(1.3633547078730297`*^10 Sqrt[p[r]]*c^2))*(1.0 + 3*p0/(rhosol*c^2)*p[r]*r^3/m[r]), 0.0],

p[rmin] == 1.0 , m[rmin] == rho0*4.0/3.0*Pi*rmin^3/msol}, {m, p}, {r, rmin, rmax},

Method →{"ExplicitRungeKutta", "DifferenceOrder" → 8} ];

NDSolve::derlen: The length of the derivative operator Derivative[1] in (m^\[Prime])[r] is not the same as the number of arguments. >>

I've been trying to do this modeling for days with no success. Any help is greatly, greatly, appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is NDSolve and how does it relate to Mathematica?

NDSolve is a function in the Mathematica software that is used to numerically solve differential equations. It is commonly used in scientific and mathematical research to model and simulate complex systems.

What is the meaning of the error message "NDSolvederlen" in Mathematica?

The error message "NDSolvederlen" in Mathematica indicates that there is an issue with the NDSolve function, specifically with the numerical integration method being used. This error can occur if the system being solved is too complex or if the initial conditions are not defined properly.

What are TOV equations and why are they important in numerical simulations?

The TOV (Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkoff) equations are a set of equations that describe the structure of a spherically symmetric, non-rotating star in general relativity. They are important in numerical simulations because they allow for the calculation of the internal structure of a star and can be used to study the properties of neutron stars, which are some of the most extreme objects in the universe.

How can I troubleshoot and fix errors related to TOV equations in Mathematica's NDSolve?

If you encounter errors related to TOV equations in Mathematica's NDSolve, first check that the equations and initial conditions are correctly defined. You may also need to adjust the numerical integration method or use more precise parameters in the NDSolve function. Additionally, checking for any typos or errors in the equations themselves can help troubleshoot the issue.

Are there any alternative methods for solving TOV equations besides NDSolve in Mathematica?

Yes, there are other methods for solving TOV equations besides NDSolve in Mathematica, such as using other numerical integration software or writing a custom code in a programming language like Python or Fortran. However, NDSolve is a commonly used and efficient method for solving these equations in Mathematica.