Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need a little bit of help on trains and buses

1. May 15, 2006 #1
    It may be that I'll leave New York alone and travel far far to other states. However I've never done such a thing. I mean, I always travel with my parents, and never by train or bus (except within NYC). So, do you know any websites out there, that let me play a tiny bit, and find the cheapest way to California f.ex? I'm more interested in something New Yorkish. And, have you ever been traveling or going to other states through buses and trains? How did you like it, and how did you find out the prices and all the stuff?
    :tongue:

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

4. May 15, 2006 #3
    If you're doing train, I highly recommend Amtrak. I've taken thirteen-sixteen hour train rides with them, and overall, they're wonderful. But if you're going for speed, I'd agree with Astronuc, I've been told that Southwest has decently cheap (I love it, decently cheap) prices.

:) Good luck.

5. May 15, 2006 #4
    Man, I took the Acela to NY, that stupid train cost me MORE money than an airplane ticket, took LONGER than a short hop in a dash-8, had 0 hot stewardess', and did'nt even go fast because Amtrak, in their infinite wisdom, bought a set of Acela trains and had two choices. (1) relay the track so they could run the Acela fast like its supposed to, or (2) put new trucks on the train and use the already existing track, but restricting overall performance. Guess which way they went...nice way to buy new high speed trains that wont work on your track....boneheads.

In short, it's no wonder Amtraks aways broke. :rolleyes:

Take an airplane.

Last edited: May 15, 2006
  6. May 15, 2006 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you have the luxury of time, traveling by train is pretty neat, because you really get to see all the scenery as you pass it. I'd recommend trains over buses...with a train, at least you can get up and walk around a bit more than on a bus. Though, I haven't been on a train for a long trip in the US since I was a kid.

7. May 15, 2006 #6
    :rofl:

You can see all the slums of NJ along the way to NY from DC moonbear.

Garden State, hahahha YEaAAAHH, right.

It was like a long train ride through Baltimore that never ends. <shudder>

8. May 15, 2006 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wasn't replying to you. :tongue: I was talking about the OP's idea of traveling from NY to CA.

Though, one of my friends takes the Acela from NYC to DC a few times a year, and doesn't have such complaints. Given the time it takes to get through airport security, it's faster to take a train than fly, and he can get work done while traveling and arrive much more rested than if he drove. Though, I think they had to slow it down since first starting that route due to problems with derailments. (I could be wrong on that...I just seem to recall someone saying something about it before.)

9. May 15, 2006 #8
    My friend Peter, wrote a book on DC transit (trolley's to be exact). He's the one who told me about the issue with the Acela. He knows much about trains. :approve:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2006
  10. May 16, 2006 #9

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The acela goes right by my town. It doesn't stop there, but it does make the most horiffic noise as it approaches the many crossings. They deliberately made the horn extra loud and obnoxious (in their continuing wisdom). I suppose it was intended to make us all think that Amtrak is not an unfriendly business? :ironic smiley:

And yes, the train cuts off access to the best portions of the Connecticut coast, it's bridges choke the wetlands, and no matter where you want to take the train (even if it goes where you want to go, which is rare) it's faster to drive, and cheaper to fly.

Buy a 1993 Toyota and drive instead. You must experience driving across the country.

11. May 16, 2006 #10

Astronuc

I'd have to agree with Cyrus. Amtrak has and is having problems. Acela was very problematic. The right of way was not designed for them and the manufacturer of Acela had some design/manufacturing problems, one of which resulted in cracked components in the brakes (2005) and shock absorber (suspension) systems (2002). :rolleyes: As an engineer, I find this situation wholly inexcusable!

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2005-04-17-acela-trains_x.htm

I periodically go to Washington DC, and I don't take the Acela, but rather one of the regular trains, which takes only about an hour longer and costs about half as much. Taking a plane would take as much time and cost way more. In Washington, I use the Metro. In fact, I'll be in DC next month for a few days.

12. May 16, 2006 #11

Hey, you should stop buy and we can go have a beer :biggrin: Evo was too busy with her boyfrienddd when she came by, ooouuu-la-la :rofl:

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  13. May 16, 2006 #12

Astronuc

Definitely, I'll let you know!

14. May 16, 2006 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, that's what was in the back of my mind trying to get out when I was thinking about problems with derailments. Thanks for refreshing my memory.

Ah, that's probably why my friend takes the Acela. He's one of those fancy schmancy, high-priced lawyers, so an hour of his time is probably worth more than the difference in ticket price. :rolleyes:

For short distance trips, like from DC to NYC, flying just isn't worth it at all. I could drive faster...it's not just the flight time, but the time you have to get to the airport in advance to check-in and get through security (more time if you need to check luggage and wait for it too, but if it's a short trip, you don't need to do that). If you were just hopping between two small airports in the middle of nowhere, it wouldn't be so bad (but then it's exhorbitantly expensive), but from two major cities, airport security itself can add a 2 hour wait on each end of the trip. Anything that's less than a 6 hour drive, I drive rather than fly. When it gets closer to 8 hours driving, I factor in the price of tickets vs price of gas, whether I would need a rental car at my destination, and so on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?