Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggestion Need a search note for those not registered

1. May 22, 2012 #1
    I registered today after nearly giving up on trying to figure out how to search a Forum. Once I registered, a "Search" option appeared at the top of the screen.

What is needed is a note in plain view that says searching is disabled until you register, or some similar logic to let an unregister newcomer understand how to search.

As it is, the first thing a visitor experiences is total frustration at the apparent inabilty to search.

Thanks, Brook Norton

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF!

Sorry you had that frustration. I'll let others comment on possible ways to address it on the PF.

Keep in mind, however, that you can do website-specific searches at the Google Advanced Search page. You can specify www.physicsforum.com, and enter the search keywords that you are interested in.

4. May 22, 2012 #3

Borek

Just add site:physicsforums.com to your google search query.

Actually, you can add site: parameter to every query to limit search to this particular domain. Works also with top level domains (so for example site:de will search only German sites with domain addresses ending in .de).

5. May 22, 2012 #4

jtbell

When I want to search all of PF I usually use Google with the "site:" modifier. The forum's own search function is a bit erratic. I use it only when I want to restrict searches to a specific forum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook