1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need a simple accelerometer for a demo kit

1. Jan 13, 2016 #1
    Hi,
    I am trying to build a demo kit to show the velocity and acceleration of a slider that reciprocates. I am from mechanical engineering background and hence need help in finding good acceleratio measurement device. My requirements are this:
    1. Should be something like a ready to fit.
    2. Needs to be compatible for an output display.
    3. Should be an economical option.
    4. Saw one app in mobile phone showing velocity and acceleration of it. Was very simple and exactly the way I wanted.

Pl. suggest some good types and makes. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2016 #2
    Two relatively inexpensive sensors are airbag triggers and phonograph pickups (add a weight to the needle). I used both in my biomedical systems business for many years to detect movement of subjects when recording various physio parameters. TI and Motorola were the airbag sensors but other vendors are also out there.

4. Jan 18, 2016 #3

Henryk

Gold Member

A few questions
    1. do you need 1, 2 or 3 axis accelerometer?
    2. Is the acceleration constant or slowly varying or is it very variable with time?
    3. What is the expected range of acceleration?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook