Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need advice regarding the major to take for masters in mechanical

1. May 12, 2013 #1
    Hey,

I've just graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering and I'm planning to go for masters.
    But now, I've to choose between Applied mechanics, Machine design, Thermal sciences (Thermodyn and fluid mech) and Aerospace (Aerodyn in particular); all of which I like very much. I'm having a tough time deciding which one to choose. :confused: I'm really interested in studying more about thermodynamics, but at the same time eager to design and build stuff using the fundamental principles.

Kindly do advise me regarding the work opportunities in the fields mentioned..and your opinion on which to take.

Thanks!!:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2013 #2
    It really all depends on what you're interested in and what you hope to do later on in your career. Choose a discipline based on your interests. I chose to do a master's in mechanical, but I research engineering software and tools (not exactly an ME field). I hope to be involved with that industry in the future, so I chose that area of research.

Something you might consider is holding off on doing graduate school until you've worked for a couple years and found out what it is you like and don't like. If you're eager to design things, try doing it for a while and then see if that's something you'd like to pursue for research.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook