1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need construction advice for rail bogie

1. Mar 10, 2015 #1
    < Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical engineering forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Capture.png
    I have to design similar bogie to one shown above. It's is used on straight rail.

I am not sure what kind of construction I should use to connect body to axles.
    More simple solution - better.

Additional information:
    This bogie (including it self) has to be able to carry 4 tons.
    Chain gear runs one axle (sprocket).
    Motor is 0,75kW.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2015 #2
    Bearings with pillow block casings...

Unless you need suspension. Then use a suspension system of your choosing.

4. Mar 10, 2015 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

What is your mechanical design experience? What calculations will you do to determine your safety factors? What are you planning to use for brakes? What is the maximum incline that this rail vehicle will see?

5. Mar 11, 2015 #4
    AVX
    Thank you. It's exactly what I was looking for.

I study mechanical engineering, mostly directed to metal parts manufacturing. So I got this task for homework and was looking for simple solution.
    About calculation it is not required to be very accurate in comparison to the drawing I am making. Just basic model how it might look. I think what Travis_King suggested is suitable solution for me.
    Thank you for reply.

6. Mar 11, 2015 #5
    What I gave you was very basic. What type of bearing is suitable? What sorts of loads will the components see? Is suspension necessary? How will you keep the wheels aligned and the body centered?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted