Need construction advice for rail bogie

In summary: AVXBearings with pillow block casings...Unless you need suspension. Then use a suspension system of your choosing.
Tadas
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical engineering forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Capture.png

I have to design similar bogie to one shown above. It's is used on straight rail.

I am not sure what kind of construction I should use to connect body to axles.
More simple solution - better.

Additional information:
This bogie (including it self) has to be able to carry 4 tons.
Chain gear runs one axle (sprocket).
Motor is 0,75kW.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bearings with pillow block casings...

Unless you need suspension. Then use a suspension system of your choosing.

Tadas said:
Capture.png

I have to design similar bogie to one shown above. It's is used on straight rail.

I am not sure what kind of construction I should use to connect body to axles.
More simple solution - better.

Additional information:
This bogie (including it self) has to be able to carry 4 tons.
Chain gear runs one axle (sprocket).
Motor is 0,75kW.

Welcome to the PF.

What is your mechanical design experience? What calculations will you do to determine your safety factors? What are you planning to use for brakes? What is the maximum incline that this rail vehicle will see?

AVX
Travis_King said:
Bearings with pillow block casings...

Unless you need suspension. Then use a suspension system of your choosing.

Thank you. It's exactly what I was looking for.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

What is your mechanical design experience? What calculations will you do to determine your safety factors? What are you planning to use for brakes? What is the maximum incline that this rail vehicle will see?

I study mechanical engineering, mostly directed to metal parts manufacturing. So I got this task for homework and was looking for simple solution.
About calculation it is not required to be very accurate in comparison to the drawing I am making. Just basic model how it might look. I think what Travis_King suggested is suitable solution for me.
Thank you for reply.

What I gave you was very basic. What type of bearing is suitable? What sorts of loads will the components see? Is suspension necessary? How will you keep the wheels aligned and the body centered?

1. What materials should be used for the construction of rail bogies?

The most commonly used materials for rail bogie construction are steel and cast iron. These materials provide strength, durability, and resistance to wear and tear.

2. How do I determine the appropriate size and weight for a rail bogie?

The size and weight of a rail bogie will depend on the specific application and the weight of the load it will be carrying. It is important to consult with rail engineers and follow industry standards and regulations to determine the appropriate size and weight for your specific needs.

3. Are there any safety regulations that need to be followed during the construction of a rail bogie?

Yes, there are safety regulations that need to be followed during the construction of a rail bogie. These regulations may vary depending on the location and specific rail system. It is important to consult with rail engineers and follow all safety guidelines to ensure the safe operation of the rail bogie.

4. How do I ensure that the rail bogie is properly balanced?

Proper balance is crucial for the safe and efficient operation of a rail bogie. This can be achieved through careful design and calculation of the center of gravity, as well as regular maintenance and adjustments as needed. It is important to consult with rail engineers and follow industry standards to ensure proper balance of the rail bogie.

5. What factors should be considered when designing a rail bogie?

When designing a rail bogie, factors such as weight capacity, speed, curvature of tracks, and load type should be taken into consideration. It is also important to consider the specific rail system and any regulations or standards that may apply. Consultation with rail engineers and thorough testing is essential for the successful design of a rail bogie.